Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:26 AM   #71

Scottishpete wrote:
Hey Clyde

You go on percentages.

You have to consider the failure rates.

This site has a snapshot of fuji 9500 owners maybe 2 or 3 percent.

If you consider how many failures per owner .

This camera is a realduffer.

I had decided tosell it on but hey what's a hammer for.

As I said, take the number of S9000/9500 owners posting here or on any other website, look at the number of actual failures in relation to the total number of owners participating and find your failure rate, that can likely be extrapolated to the number among all users worldwide. I sincerely believe that you will not be able to find more than a three to five percent failure rate, certainly a substantial number but nowhere near a catastrophic number. So you are unhappy with the camera and have decided to sell it, I hope you find the camera that fits your needs and never has any sort of failure. I still maintain that as long as Fuji stands behind the cams and repairs them that it is a realaggravation but not a major issue.

Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:35 AM   #72

Oh Dear!

Same problem here, My command dial has stopped working also!
It still clicks and feels firm etc but no actions happen when 'using' it. I have treat this camera with the respect it deserves - so why can't it function correctly?
This is now the *2ND* Fuji S9500 to go 'tits up' on me.

Will see how long it takes the Fuji monkeys to fix this mess, no doubt it means at least a couple of weeks without my camera or indeed (if any!) a replacement

My posts from the 1st camera: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...433183#p433183

This is a complete balls up, Fuji get it sorted!
uglybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:21 AM   #73

My command dial has also stopped working, the camera was bought Dec 05, the camera was a gift and i am currently trying to track down a proof of purchase as Fuji won't help me under warranty without it, even though they agreed with me that the camera could not be over a year old as the model was released in like August/September (am i right?) and the serial also starts 54, the guy on the phone told me that it would cost me £120 to have it fixed by them, no way am i paying them that much to fix a design/manufacturing fault on a £500 camera that has not been used that much, not sure how much it would cost me in a shop but i hope i never have to find out, i know the receipt should have been kept safe but some people just don't think about these things, i always keep mine.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:04 AM   #74

My command dial failed after the first three weeks of regular, respectful use. Fuji fixed it, got it back to me in eight days and it seems ok right now, but I'm busy with my new F30 and not using the s9000 every day.
Serial # (the point of this post) is 61A00695.

I note that the newly announced s6500 has dispensed with the command dial. I'm anxious to read the reviews and descriptions of the new puppy, as it may be the (latest) camera of my dreams )
Paul Herzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:11 PM   #75

Just a thoughtand observation on this issue.... (S9000, 54A01009, so far so good, 400 pics or so).

It appears that the Command dial shaft has a small diameter, ~2mm. I doubt that the shaft is breaking do to torsional forces. There just is not enough resistance to the dial mechanism for this to occur.

However, if you look at the space between the commanddial and the body, you will notice that it is wider than the Mode dial. Push slightly on the Command dial and you will see how easy it deflects.

I believe that a heavy thumb or bump of this dial will surely weaken the shaft as the dial does not "bottom out" against the camera body soon enough.

I'm looking for a shim to put in this space to make sure that the dial will bottom out before the shaft gets stressed, as a solution for now.

When the warranty approaches, you can bet I'll prove this point:lol:if Fuji hasn't offered to recall this problem.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:14 PM   #76

I had command dial problems with my s9500. It's fixed now.
I think it is something internal. My command dial did not fall off.
It still turned and clicked but it did not changed the settings.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:35 AM   #77

It will never fall off because it's secured by a ring and a plate but the shaft will break and you just feel if it's still working but it doesn't ... ref my pic earlier in this thread
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:41 AM   #78

Not so. The dial has been known to fall off.

As was explained by nickphoto123 in a thread here dated 1/1/06, entitled "Broken command dial on my S9000"

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:17 PM   #79

Mine came back from repair 2 days ago. My command dial didnt fall of, it just didnt
respond on turning. Now it's stiffer to rotate and I hope it wouldnt go offline anymore.
srkiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:21 AM   #80

I got my S9000 back yesterday from repair of command dial. There is no lateral "slop" in the dial, and it feels a lot stiffer than before (as noted by others who have had this repaired). Hope it holds up better than the first go-round.Regarding the comments on DPReview forum about using thumb and finger to turn the dial (to reduce stress on the coupling), I don't see how you could do that one-handed, while viewing the shot through the viewfinder, especially if you were adjusting the f-stop, which requires holding down a button near the front of the top piece.

Anyway, I'm glad it's back; took a little over 2 weeks to send and get back. I had also mentioned in my "work order" that it was a bit out of focus from one side to the other. Haven't tested yet to see whether they fixed that. I doubt it since it wasn't listed on the repair order invoice they returned to me.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote