Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:27 AM   #1

I have been looking at these two digicams in order to buy an extra carry around cam to my Nikon D50.
Does anyone know why the two digicams (F30/F650) come equiped with different CCDs? The F30 sports the 1/1.7" Fujifilm SuperCCD all the while the F650 seems to be left behing by its 1/2.5" CCD.
Now, I've seen pics of the SuperCCD Fujifilm sensor and I know it is miles ahead of the competition.
Why would they cripple the F650? It looks more appealing due to it's 5x zoom than the F30's 3x but because of it's inferior sensor, my choice would still go for the F30.
These two digicams are due for release in July.
Is anyone familiar with the two's specifications? Is the sensor difference I have described accurate?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:42 PM   #2

I know the problem well...small camera, big zoom and large sensor is something we all want. High ratio zoom lens in small cameras cannot use large sensors due to focal length and many pixels in small sensors mean smaller pixels and less light.
Sensor technology is getting better but they still have a long way to go before we can shoot with a compact camera at 12X zoom, 1600 ISO with similar quality you can get with a D50 and a good lens.
The F30 seems to be closer to getting there then most others and it would seem that their 6th gen sensor has an advantage.
We hope, we dream and we wait!
Coolsiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3

I think basically the F650 is the same as the F470 except for the
5X zoom lens, a great new LCD screen, and a sleek new look,

You can find several reviews of the F470
including on this site, and a couple of others.

sscott is offline   Reply With Quote