Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 11, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

Hi I have just purchased a fuji s9500 and have been messing around in the garden to get used to it. I have noticed when taking macro pics I can't zoom out fully as it goes all blurry on tiny things such as flies etc. I was wondering if I needed to adjust something such as ISO etc.

I am a complete beginner and would appreciate any type of advice on different topics.

Also can you purchase different size lenses etc and where from?

I have taken a few shots that look decent, see above and below, let me know what ya think thanks amanda
Attached Images
inadhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 2:16 PM   #2

The S9500 is a fixed lens only the DSLR lenses can be changed, as with your micro problem i'm not sure if i can help but someone will...
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 2:56 PM   #3

You probably already know this, but the range in the macro modes is as follows:
Macro: 3.3 feet to 12 feet (I think, or thereabouts)
Super macro: .3 feet to 3.3 feet (wide-angle only)
I have found macro photography difficult. I think using a tripod would help tremendously. And the only other suggestion would be to just keep taking pictures. I don't have a very high success ratio with my macro images. I haven't got any real good ones yet. But I think I'm improving.

As far as other lenses, there are a couple that some people are using. Fuji says there are no auxiliary lenses for the 9000/9500. But some are using one from Olympus and there's another one that some are using, but I don't recall the name/brand. I find that most of my macro images leave something to be desired. Here is one that I was sort of happy with.
Attached Images
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 4:48 AM   #4

Hi, Amanda.

Congratulations on your new camera, it will keep you busy and happy for a long time.

To take close-up pics you have to switch the MACRO mode on (a small button with a flower on it on the left side of your camera). Pressing it once switches on MACRO mode, twice - SUPER MACRO mode, the third press brings you back to NORMAL mode.

In NORMAL mode you working range is 50cm (1.6ft) to infinity in wide-angle and 2m (6.6ft) to infinity in telephoto.

In MACRO mode the range is 10 cm-3 m (3.9 in.-9.8 ft.) in wide-angleand 90 cm-3 m (3.0 ft.-9.8 ft.) in telephoto

In SUPER MACRO (works ONLY at 28mm setting wide-angle): 1 cm-1 m (0.4 in.-3.3 ft.).

You took your pic in normal mode, so you couldn't focus closer or use longer zoom settings.

Also in MACRO mode pay attention to the Auto Focus warning ( red AF symbol in the viewfinder or LCD). When it appears - you are too close and should back off a little or use a shorter zoom settings. It might be a very good idea to use a tripod for macro shots.

Here is an example of a close-up shot yesterday handheld:

and another one I've posted previously (camera was mounted on a tripod):

As for lenses, Fuji doesn't support add-on lenses for S9500, but you can get a set of close up lenses (58mm) for macro shots and many users used tele and wide-angel converters successfully. You can have a look here:

Attached Images
algold is offline   Reply With Quote