Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 14, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Wondering if anyone could help me, i'm very new to DSLR and need some help, I have a fuji s9500 and want to take a good picture of the moon. I read somewere that I should use spot metering, center focus, aperture at F8 and shutter speed at 1/700. Just wondering if this is right and if anyone else has taken a photo of the moon.

Also how do I change the aperture, shutter speed and spot metering, as for the shutter speed (well I think it is the shutter speed) starts from " to 4000, how does this become like 1/700 etc, how do you work the aperture and shutter speed out.

Please help me thanks amanda x
inadhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2

You must use a tripod. I would start with the following settings. Auto focus, ISO 200, Manual Mode, f5.6 @ 1/400th. Bracket plus and minus 1 stop and see where you stand.

honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3

Hi thanks for you answer, but I don't understand any of it lol, could you please let me know how you change each of those and what does shutter speed of 1800 mean?

inadhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 3:03 PM   #4

First of all, your S9500 (the same as mine) is not a DSLR (digital single lens reflex)camera, although they do try to sell it as one sometimes. It is digital and has a single fixed lens, but the mirror and the pentaprism (or pentamirror) and optical viewfinder of a real SLR camera are missing. It does have a shape of an SLR camera though. But enough semantics.

For the moon shot try these settings:

Exposure mode - manual
Shutter speed 1/80
F number F5.6
Focal length - 300mm (equiv.135)
ISO 100
Manual focus
Full 300mm zoom +2X digital zoom.

Mount your camera on a tripod and use a self-timer to trigger the shutter release.

The brightness of the moon can vary, so bracketing can be a good idea.

Good luck

algold is offline   Reply With Quote