Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 16, 2006, 2:27 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I don't post here much, but I thought some people might be interested in what I have learnt about high iso shooting and postprocessing in a linux environment. By far it is better to shoot in raw mode when using the natural light setting, or high iso. That is documented elsewhere.

Stage 1
The raw images come out very grainy and with a fair amount of what is called bayer noise (bright red, green and blue speckling). I import the raw image into The GIMP (being the linux equivalent of photoshop) via UFRAW a great raw photo plugin/standalone. UFRAW has just about all the features of the commercial alternatives. I am able to adjust white balance, do some exposure compensation and check the histogram for over/under exposed areas, I like the AHD interpolation but UFRAW offers others also. I save the raw photo as an uncompressed tif so that I can run it through noiseninja (2.1 beta version available for testing on linux).

Stage 2
In these raw images it is the bayer stuff that is most offensive, and NoiseNinja does a fantastic job of removing this noise. I prefer to limit NoiseNinja to removing the bayer noise rather than trying to achieve a fully polished image here, so my NoiseNinja images are still grainy, but without the red, green blue dots. I have tried all manner of other noise removal options in linux including "dcam noise2" and "bilateral filtering" but none come close to the NoiseNinja at this stage of postprocessing.

Stage 3
I then take the image back into the GIMP and apply some form of despeckling, usually a slight blur or gaussian blur (I see which gives the best perceptual result on skin tones). Next step is to apply a small amount of sharpening, then make any small scale final colour alterations (levels/curves).

This sounds like a lot of work, but when you are capturing the birth of your child it is worth every bit of the time. (Not to mention that I enjoy time in the digital dark room).

The first image is after stage 1 processing and is a crop to 40% of the original canvas size. This was shot in natural light mode which gave an iso of 800 with a shutter speed of 1/250

The second one is after stages 1,2 and 3.

Hope this helps someone as I am very very satisfied with the results
antoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 9:56 AM   #2

Hi Antoo,

very nice results you have there. I don't have the s9000 but planning to buy me one. And also using the gimp etc (SuSE LInux) so I'm interested in your story about your the gimp and UFRAW.

Kind regards,

Ben (Netherlands)
bentuinstra is offline   Reply With Quote