Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:00 PM   #1

Hey everyone,

New to this forum - so be easy on me!

Looking into getting a Fuji s5600 (I believe it's an s5200 in the US?) and was wodering about a couple of things!

Batteries: I should definitly stick with 2,500 rated batteries, and 2,650 if I can get them, right? Im planning on getting 3 sets of 4. 1 to be in the camera and 2 spare sets of 4, so I can always have some ready and waiting to snap away.

Filters: The lens has a 55mm thread right? Hoya make 55mm threaded filters, will these fit on? And do 55mm threaded filters always fit or is there certain ones that fit and certain ones that do not? Any brands that i should look out for?I want to get a UV filter first off, and then get a Polarizing filter afterwards. I'm not too fussed about other ones for awhile anyway.

Lens Hood: I saw a 55mm Lens hood on eBay and was wondering (somewhat related to the filter Q's above) if this would fit or are there certaon 55mm ones that fit and other 55mm ones that do not? Do Fuji sell lens hoods?

Im sure there'll be more, but for now I'll be having a good look around the forum!

sando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:13 AM   #2

Your understanding of batteries is correct. You want to get the highest rated batteries that you can find. I use 2500's that I purchased at Sam's Club, and they seem to hold up quite well.

The lens on your camera will accept any standard 55 mm filter or lens hood. In other words, any 55 mm filter or hood will attach properly to your lens. However, it is possible that the lens hood (for example) could cause some vignetting at wide angles if it is not designed to handle as wide as your camera will shoot. That isn't going to hurt anything, it just means that you might not be able to use that particular hood for your widest angled photos.

I don't know if you will find the same problem that I did with my S5100, but the lens cap that came with the camera would not attach to the filters that I purchased. My solution, I just purchased another lens cap at a local camera store for about $2.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:39 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply - this forum seems fairly quiet!

I'll be having a look around for a hood, I think I can find somewhere here in Perth that will allow me to go into the store with the camera and try them out. But at the end of the day, I can always take the hood off if i have to, it would be nice to have the option of fitting one, should i be able to.

I'll be out to purchase some filters then! I'll just get a new lens cap too, thanks for the advice mate.

Hopefully havea s5600this weekend!

Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:11 AM   #4

Hi sando.

Congrats on your decision to buy S5600, it's a nice cam and you will enjoy using it.

If this place looks too quiet, try this one:

Forum members are very friendly andactive. The forum is Fuji centered, but it's more about pictures and having a good time with your cam and less about the technical stuff.

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:50 PM   #5

You made the right decision - the S5200/5600 is a great camera. Jphess is right - any standard 55mm filter or attachment will fit. I leave a 55mm Tiffen #1 Haze filter on my S5200 all the time. It's an inexpensive way to protect the lens and it doesn't seem to affect the camera in any way. A polarizing filter (a linear polarizer will work on the S5200/5600) will come in handy as well.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:33 PM   #6

Thanks guys,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Picked it up this weekend... WOW, cant say anything about it other than I'm impressed! Does everything I wanted from a camera and more. Really impressed so far!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Will keep my eye out for a PL filter now. Also looking for a decent bag... so i can get out and about with it!