Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:52 AM   #1

My husband and I have an opportunity to go to the Amazon with his family in February and I really, really want to take my S9000 along but I'm worried about the camera in that kind of heat and humidity. Should I be? Is there anything I can do to assure that the camera will work down there? Any accessories that I can get to make it work better? Or should I just leave it at home and bring my old Canon G3 (which I was going to sell but I can put off it will work better)?

We will be on a boat that has private air-conditioned rooms if that helps in the advice on this question.

Any suggestions and/or advice is welcome! :?

Thank you,
ShavaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:35 PM   #2

You might think of getting a bunch of those 'dry packets' that most electronic gear comes with .... silica gel, or some such product ... also get one of those plastic bags made for underwater photography. Put the silica gel in the bag , with the camera and seal it closed. I think a big concern would be getting humid air into the camera, or bag, then going into air conditioned space. Just my thoughts .... going to photo site that caters to SCUBA, or skin diveing might glean so good info ...

Good luck .... it sure would be nice if you return and disclose what you learn .... others certainly are confronted with this problem .... I'm lucky, I'm in the dry western U.S.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:15 AM   #3

I think the main problem would be going from a cool air condtioned room to the humid outside air, this is when you get condensation forming both on the outside of the camera and inside, I had this happen to me in Singapore, I went on to the hotel balcony one afternoon from the cool room, as soon as the camera hit the warm moist air it fogged over, took quite a while to clear, there is probably not much you can do about it.

Nev Cross

Nev Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:51 AM   #4

Thank you. I'll look into that. And you can be sure that I'll be back to share what I learned. (Though I keep hoping that I can find someone who has been through it first so I don't have to learn so much. :-))

ShavaSue is offline   Reply With Quote