Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:24 PM   #1

Hello everyone! I have the s9000 and have several questions regarding lighting/flash with this camera.

I recently bought a used, and very old, lighting kit from. It works great, still in excellent condition. The power supply unit is a Novatron 334, and from what I understand is 30-35 years old?? I spoke with Novatron yesterday and was informed the trigger voltage was 12-13 volts. Is this okay to use with the s9000? I also spoke with a guy at Fuji who told me that the camera would accept up to 40 volts. I just want to be sure before I fry the camera, which is just my luck...:-) Also, the whole lighting concept baffles me, so if anyone can fill me in there, t'would be greatly appreciated. Especially the whole lighting ratio deal, yep, right over my head!

Another question...I was looking through some photo's today taken by my aunt many years ago...graduations..ballgames..inside gymnasiums. I've never had any luck with any photographs inside gyms. Mainly with the flash not being strong enough to light everything. The photos that she done was taken from one side of the gym, and the entire photo is well lit, and evenly lit. Very bright, which is what I want, not the darkened backgrounds, etc, that I am getting. Would a stronger, external flash do the trick for me? What kind is compatible with the s9000?

Here is a photo taken a few months ago with this camera. If I remember correctly it was done in Natural Light mode. Any critiques on what I could have done to improve the shot?

Attached Images

JeepinLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:44 PM   #2

It isn't likely that any single flash would evenly illuminate an entire gymnasium. I would suspect she probably used available light.

From everything you have indicated, it sounds like the flash you purchased should work just fine. You're going to have to try it sometime. What are you waiting for?

As far as the picture is concerned, I don't like having the tree trunk behind only part of his head. It creates an unnatural split in the picture. I don't like how there are branches "growing" out of his head. You might have improved the picture by using the macro mode so that you could get better control of the depth of field.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3

On the flash issue, the S9000 flash is somewhat underpowered, and further will always adjust its intensity based on the amount of light seen by the sensor when the picture is taken. I posted somewhere else on this forum about this problem.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:02 PM   #4

Well I haven't purchased a flash just yet. I am clueless as to what kind I need for this camera. I bought a lighting kit (2 strobes and a soft box) that I have been playing around with a bit, learning what the lights do when I place one here, or place one there...etc.

The picture I posted is my husband who had been leaning against the tree (probably would have made a better shot) I snapped the pic as he was moving away from the tree. One of these days I will learn to always have my camera ready to go! :lol:

As for the photos taken inside the gymnasium, I am not sure. I will post one of them so you can see what I am talking about. The pictures are so very bright, and sharp, it's hard to imagine them being taken in available light.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Also, I have never tried using macro for regular pictures?? I do use macro when snapping pictures of my flowers and such, but didn't think it would work with snapshots like this? Hmmm, something else for me to go play with now..Thanks!!!