Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:37 AM   #1

Anyone have an opinion as to which (if any) lens hood to use on the 5200? I do most of my photography outdoors in bright light and like the idea of reducing lens flare as well as extra protection for the lens.

Question is which type? Round? Petal? Folding rubber? I'd also like to be able to attach a cap with the hood in place.

Thanks in advance,
Fred Atz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2

I'd like hear any opinions on this one too.

I'm surprised there's been no answers yet. Surely there are loads of S5200 (S5600) users who use a hood?

I've seen quite a few 55mm standard circular rubber hoods which are advertised as being suitable for the S5200, but the flower (petal) type is hard to pin down.

I'd like to know if it's ok to use 55mm flower hoods aimed at other cameras with a similar zoom range. There are examples out there which claim to be compatible with any cameras with similar zoom range and a crop / scaling factor of 1.5 .

Any advice about which gives best results would be greatly appreciated.

schal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

I think there are probably no answers because nobody really knows for sure. I also think it's probably a matter of personal preference. Lens hoods are not that expensive. Buy one and give it a try. It isn't going to break the camera. The main thing you are going to want to watch for is vignetting in your wide-angle photos. That can be eliminated by zooming in slightly, or with certain software packages. If it becomes too much of a problem, get a different hood and try it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote