Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:48 AM   #11

Thanks to you a lotJPHESS and to all for your answers,

yes I'm just like you and enjoy my camera very much; it's wide angle+zoom, in video mode optik zoomable, handling and everything.

again thanks for your answers.
meto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:28 AM   #12

ofcourse anyone would like a firmware update, an update is an improvement

But the camera does already the job I want it to do, (see for examples the large S9500 topic ).

But anything that can speed up focussing for example would be appreciated
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:43 AM   #13

Hang on a mo folks. The remark about upgrading cars is wrong...it's just called a recall and fixes design,production and safety faults or omissions.
Sure, we have been down this route several times before and many have had their say. For me it would be to have the s9500 live histogram on all the time ( switchable) rather than the present requirement of turning it on each time.
Perhaps some enterprising boffin can get into the existing Fuji firmware and do a few tweaks.

Regards to all.

dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:34 AM   #14

The manufacturers can't win, if they introduce a new model with features that people have been asking for then people are unhappy that their old model doesn't get to share the new features. If they don't introduce their new model, then people are unhappy that the manufacturer is still selling the same old thing and not offering anything new. At some point you have to stop waiting for the next new model to be introduced, make a committment to purchase what is available with the realization that it will soon be superseded by a new model or even made obsolete by a new model. Cameras, printers, computers, music synthesizers,model cycles are getting shorter and shorter these days. I can't even begin to count the number of "upgraded" printer models that HP introduced after I bought my new photo printer 24 months ago, I'm happy with the results mine gets, if I want the newer features bad enough then I'll have to buy a new model, that's just the way it is.

Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:05 AM   #15

I don't know of any car manufacturer that has recalled a car model to fix a design problem / performance problem or whatever, the only time they do a recall is to fix safety problems and I don't think that there is a safety problem with the S9500 so why should Fuji do an upgrade to change design features? As I have already stated, if you bought a car with an underpowered engine would you expect the maker to replace the engine for you when they bring out a more powerful model? of course not , if you bought a tv set and the new model performed better, would you expect the manufacturer to upgrade the old set, of course not, so why do you expect Fuji to update design features on the S9500such as autofocus speed, when a new model is introduced?
Nev Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:19 AM   #16

[align=left]It's taken some time (more than 1000's pics) but I'm more than happy with my 9500 now. And I can't really blame Fuji for the timing, at first I was disappointed because I only bought mine two months ago, but in fairness to Fuji this was my choice as I felt the price was now right for me, there is no way I would have paid £500 for this camera when it first came out last year, so I guess I wouldn't be able to afford the new 9600 now anyway.[/align]

[align=left]Having said that Fuji should continue to support older models and provide firmware upgrades as and when they fell necessary. To do this effectively they have to listen to current owners of these cameras, so if people would like their 9000 \ 9500 to produce slightly sharper pictures and there is a way for Fuji to address this by the means of the firmware upgrade then IMO they should provide people with this option.[/align]

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:46 AM   #17

The way I see it, Fuji designed the 9000/9500 to allow the photographer to have more control over the sharpness of the images. Too many purchasers didn't like that control. So the new 9100/9600 has a new processor in it that reportedly will produce sharper images, more like consumers (not professionals) prefer. Since it necessitated designing a new processor to do this, I think it is unreasonable for anyone to think that Fuji can provide that "consumer" sharpening through firmware update. Most of you realize that your 9000/9500 isn't going to be your last digital camera. The decision you face now is, is this new offering what I want, or should I wait and see what develops? You cannot expect Fuji to provide innovation features for older cameras. If there is a genuine problem with the firmware Fuji will provide an update. They have already updated the 9000/9500 firmware once to provide you with higher CF capacity capabilities. But I'm not aware of any real problems. Of course, it would be nice if some menu selections were more convenient. But the menus work, the choices that you make take effect. It might take you a couple of extra strokes to get where you want to be, but the menus work. If you don't like the menus and think they are unbearable, then you shouldn't have purchased the camera. I think the basic problem is that we all want to have the latest and greatest that is available, but we just don't want to pay for it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:54 AM   #18

I'm so upset, because s9000 was for me the best of best, now is a coming an upgrade, which should be better.
These cameras are different each other. They didn't put a new processor or something more in to the same camera and said this is our new camera S3IS3,1 or DCH-2,1 or DMC-FZ31.
I'm not sure I understand the complaint. Either it's that the new camera isn't improved enough or it's improved too much. Either it's a better camera, or it's the same camera with minor updates. Or is the only complaint the name? If they called it the S-10000, you wouldn't have a problem?

It sounds to me like Fuji is doing what they should be doing; paying attention to the feedback they get on one model as they try to improve the next. The new model is supposed to have an upgraded image processor, a better autofocus, a larger LCD, and the new I-Flash metering system.

But it sounds to me as though the real complaint is not about the S-9100/9600 but the S-9000/9500. It seems that many people have been disappointed in that model. But the complaints are similar to one always hears about the latest model with the most MPs: per pixel sharpness isn't quite as good as current models with lower resoulutions (and often the same size sensor). In this case, the S-9000 did introduce a larger sensor, but at 1/1.7" it's not that much bigger than the 1/1.6" sensors that are in their 6MP models. And I'm not sure if the new 9MP model will be a significant improvement over last year's in this respect. But I guess there are bound to be complaints either way.

But, while I'm not sure how much they could improve with only a firmware upgrade, I do think it would be a good idea for Fuji to do what they can in that regard. If they are able to make some of those new processing algorithms available through such an upgrade, I think that woulds be a smart move in this case, and would probably only help sales of the newer models.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote