Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:07 AM   #1

I have been shooting a lot of pictures in Natural Light mode lately...but very few actually come out decent. The grain is horrible! I have read on here that it could very well be my computer moniter that is not showing the full quality of the picture. I will have an 8x10 printed to check this out...My question is...You cannot adjust the ISO when shooting in this mode right? I have noticed that even in fairly well lit situations, it still boosts the ISO to at least 800. Would using a tripod help at all?

Out of all the pictures I have taken, playing around with this mode, I have two that was not shot at ISO 800. Is there anything at all I can do to help with this?

JeepinLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2

It is not necessary to use the Natural Light mode to take those type of photos. The Natural Light mode is designed to optimize ISO, shutter speed and aperture to make taking natural light photos as easy as possible. But if you don't like the results, try using aperture preferred auto or shutter preferred auto, and set the ISO to a lower setting. Yes, that means you will probably have to use slower shutter speeds, so a tripod might be a good accessory for you to use. I have taken nigh photos of lighted buildings at ISO 80. The exposures were three to four seconds long, but I was happy with what I got. I realize that this is an outdoor photo, that the principle is still the same.
Attached Images
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:28 PM   #3

Natural Light mode isn't intended to replace the need for a tripod in all low-light conditions. It was designed so that people could get decent shots in situations where tripods or flash are either not allowed or are not practical, like in museums and art galleries. Because flash is disabled in this mode, it's also very useful for taking pictures of pets, sleeping children, etc., without disturbing them. As an example, this is a pic I took in Normal Light mode in a museum where tripods/monopods weren't allowed.
Attached Images
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote