Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Funny Fotos

Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:43 PM   #1

Default How not to sell a lens

Taken from an advertisement in a photo magazine. Obviously neither the ad men responsible for this shoot nor the "photographer" pictured knew anything about photography, but the guy who actually took the photo should have known better (edit: and so should the one who posted this!).

What do you think the "photographer" was looking at? And what else is wrong here?

Name:  IMGP1185.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  74.9 KB
(also posted in the Pentax Forum)

Last edited by penolta; Nov 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:01 PM   #2

The lens cap is on and it doesn't look like the tripod mount is actually attached
to anything...?
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I've no clue, I've looked a few times at this and nothing jumps out..... so probably it is looking at me right in the face.

The lens hood is right with the black band on the front, this isn't a lens cap at the end and he would be using AF so doesn't matter if he touches the focus ring or not. The support is enough for the 600mm f4 so again no issue.

I would actually say the guy is a photog as he has his thumb on the rear AF button which most people wouldn't be doing.

Basically I'm stumped.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:47 PM   #4

Well, I have to eat my words. that sure looks like a lens cap, but you are right. I looked at a lot of pictures of Canon EF 400s and didn't see one with the lens hood on, but I finally found one, and that is what it is. But I would think a heavy lens like that would at least require a sturdy tripod with at least a ball head, and not a monopod with only a mounting screw, but I am not a Canon aficionado and I don't use a big lens like that, so what do I know.

Last edited by penolta; Nov 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:23 AM   #5

I thought it was the lens cap, too.

This thread at least educated me on using big lenses. I always thought the camera was the one mounted on the tripod and you would just need additional support for the big lens (and wondered how). I think from this thread I learned that instead of the camera, the big lens is the one mounted on the tripod.

I've no plans of owning a big lens but who knows I may have a rich uncle somewhere with my name on his will...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6

I have seen similar rigs used in Africa for photo safaris for dangerous game. The cage is likely on the back of a good sized truck, and the monopod probably an iron pipe welded to the floor. Similar setups in Alaska and Northern Canada for Polar Bears.
What the photographer is looking at is probably something with a lot of teeth. (which is why he is doing it from as far away as possible)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I have seen similar rigs used in Africa for photo safaris for dangerous game. The cage is likely on the back of a good sized truck, and the monopod probably an iron pipe welded to the floor. Similar setups in Alaska and Northern Canada for Polar Bears.
brian
The uncropped photo shows what at least looks like a typical monopod with flip-lock leg extensions, but I have never been where I could examine a rig like you have described. Can't tell what the cage might be mounted on, if that is what it is, but it is not far off the ground (certainly not a howda on the back of an elephant!). I never should have posted this.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:50 AM   #8

Looking at it I believe there may be a quick release on top of the monopod. I can see the strap loop on the back side and what appears to be two steps up. The release knob/lever would be on the other side. Either way, nice rig.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote