Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Mobile Devices (Tablets, Smart Phones) > General Discussion - Mobile Devices

Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:24 AM   #1

Default How many megapixels do you need?

I saw this article . . . asking the same question about how many megapixels is enough, but from a cellphone perspective . . .

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/131...title_0_2?news

Take Care & Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Same old arguments, rehashed from a mobile perspective. Same old fanboys desperately defending their choices. Much heat, little light.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3

I'm sorry Brian, but I did not read a lot of fanboy crap in that post, but you are correct "not much light"

Lets face it, the amount of pixels you need depends on what you want or expect to do with the image. Probably 95% or more smartphone users only post the image to facebook, instagram, messages, or some other social media site as it comes out of the device. For these types anything greater than 3mp will probably suffice. Now for those of us that want to crop, photo edit, and adhere to the mantra ("The best camera you have is the one with you.") We would need more pixels so we can perform the magic of photographic art. And if you are into RAW files and want to convert the RAW files with DxO, Adobe, or Paintshop Pro. (all of which have profiles for the Lumia 1020 BTW) we need more, lots more. I carry the Lumia1020 for these reasons, and enjoy the Heck out of it. Does that make me a fanboy or am I just someone who likes to take a lot of pictures and am to old and weak to carry a camera bag around anymore, and need something with me to call 911 if or when the need comes. LOL

Last edited by Thegreygeek; May 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM.
Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 12:22 PM   #4

I tend to agree that if you are looking at mobile devices from a camera perspective, the Lumia 1020 is the device to have. Since there is no cell service where I live, it isn't likely to happen, though.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote