Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:53 PM   #1

I have read and read and read threads, but you just can't go wrong when you just ask "what would you do?"j

Here is my situation and what I carry:

I do mostly architectural and aerial photography. I do a lot of street scenes and "candid" shots as well and I pretty much stay in urban areas, but do some nature occasionally, mostly landscapes.

So, I want it all, I want to have efficient equipment that can do a wide variety of shooting and since I do so many different things, my budget is limited.

Here is what I shoot with:

5D, 20D bodies

Canon EF 24-105 IS

Canon EFS 17-85 IS (20D only)

Canon EFS 10-22 (20D only)

and I have a Canon 75-300 EF 5.6 (yea, that needs to be replaced soon, I have to rent telephotos when I need a good lens)

I also have a 580ex flash

So, if this is what you had, what would you plan to add to complete this setup?

I'm thinking the Sigma 100-300 f4, but I shoot a lot of aerials and it would seem that I could really use the IS feature. I just can't spent 1000's right now on a lens.

KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:02 AM   #2

Add a Stroboframe Pro-T bracket and a TTL cord to attach the flash to get the light above the lens when doing portraits etc.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:38 PM   #3

I'd like to add some of your stuff to my bag. What do find limiting about your current assortment of equipment?? Aside from some fast, bright primes (maybe a 50mm and a 20 or 24mm) for low light situations where a flash is not usable, and maybe a ND and polarizing filter I can't think of what else you may need.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:13 PM   #4

I've got filters and don't do potraits so don't need an extender for the flash.

I think I mostly need a good zoom lens and I'm having a hell of a time with that one.

I would think I need IM for aerials, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I think I will post that question in the lens forum.
KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:22 PM   #5

Seeing you don't seem to mind spending a lot for good gear, for architecture you might want to look at a truly rectinlinear wide-angled prime (so the lines actually are straight) and a tilt-shifting lens.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote