Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2002, 9:01 PM   #1
Default Reprogramming (Hacking) Firmware

I have just been thinking about some of the issues I have with my Kodak DC4800 camera, and what may solve them.

Since my camera (and most digicams) use Flash upgradeable firmware, I thought maybe it would be possible to modify the Flash file on the PC (one would obviously need to know the language used) and then upload it to the camera to enable the additional changes.

I was wondering how much of a digicams operating system etc is stored in the Flash file and how much is hard-wired into the camera. Does anyone know?

The one feature I am really itching for is to have a menu option where you can set the "Distance to Subject" or something like that. ie a manual focus. My camera allows locking the focus to infinity or close-up (<70cm), so I would think the hardware could, in theory, lock focus to any distance.

What do people think about this idea? Have people done this already with Flash files? If so, I would love people to let me know!

Obviously the files would need to be 'underground' because the camera people would not appreciate their stuff being hacked.

Sotterraneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2002, 2:49 PM   #2

It wouldn't be impossible but likely difficult enough that it wouldn't be worth the effort. The programming in the flash isn't in a "lanuguage" as you think of it. It's machine code for the microcontroller/processor used in the camera. The original programming may have been done in an assembler or done with higher level lanugage that compiles for that processor. Unless you had the original source code you'd have a hard time of it. There are disassemblers but few "decompilers"
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote