Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:33 PM   #1

Alright I am clueless when it comes to Real cameras? I'm planning on buying a dslr soon. This will be my fisrt. I have absolutely no experiance(sp?) with DSLR, Only point and shoot, time to learn...

I have narrowed it down to either the canon rebal XT, Rebal XTi or the Pentax K100D.

My question is how much does Megapixels have to really do with image quailty?

I mean , the XT is 8MP, the XTi is 10MP and the K100D is 6.1 MP, would the image quailty be taht much superior in the XTi as apposed to the K100D.

Or does lower MP just limit the size of image, Ie 8x10 or smaller?

Thaks for the help,

steelrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:47 PM   #2

This is a really difficult question to answer. I shoot with a Nikon D70 6Mp and it produces great images up to 12x8 (whicj is as big as I've printed so far. Given the same size sensor more megapixels means smaller pixels and smaller pixels mean more noise and lower quality. However technology improves so smaller new pixels may be better than larger old pixels.

More pixels certainly gives the possibility of greater enlargement and also enables more cropping for the same output size without loss of quality.

I would look at the cameras and see which feels best in your hand and look into the controls and see which are easiest to use. Also cost of the camera and the lenses may help youdecide.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:53 PM   #3

Sorry to steel your thread steelrain but, Nagasaki if there are more pixels in the final image. would that mean it could pick up more detail?
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:54 PM   #4

Theoritically, all things being equal (and it never is), you'd have more details in the image file from a 10MP sensor.

But, the problem is that you may not be able to see any more detail at the print and viewing sizes you need, even using a loupe, depending on the printer technology being used. :-)

Even 3 Megapixels can produce a pretty nice 8x10" print from typical viewing distances (and I've made a lot of 8x10" prints from 2MP images that still look OK). ;-)

So, unless you plan on very large prints, I wouldn't worry about the megapixels part too much.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:36 AM   #5

yeah. MP is DEFINATELY not a important thing for me. Although etra corpping space would be nice.
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote