View Poll Results: Pentax 550, Fuji F700, Sony DSC-V1
Pentax Optio 550 0 0%
Fuji F700 2 66.67%
Sony DSC-V1 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:06 PM   #1
Default Whats the best sub $700 digital out within the next 60 days

I’m digital camera shopping.
Looking to be able to print high quality on 8 x 10 or perhaps larger. (Canon i950 or i9100, but that’s another story)
If Anybody can to give an opinion on my following short list

Pentax Optio 550 (out now for a list of $599.00)
5X zoom, 320 x 240 15fps movie up to 10 min

Sony DSC-V1 (out very soon but $100 more at $699.00)
Only 4X zoom, but with Carl Zeiss lens, lots of accessories like 1.7 add on tele
Whopping 640x480 movie at 16fps, battery life bad, memory more expensize

Fuji F700 (keeps getting pushed out, but will be $599.00)
Only 3X zoom, but 4th gen CCD 6.1 megapixl, whopping 560x480 and 30 fps! Controversy in effective res using 2 element sizes (will it work at 13X17 blowups?)

There you have it, if there is another someone would prefer to recommend in this price range, please let me know. I have resisted leaving my 35mm until I could approach the quality of film (I did say approach). But negative scanning to my computer is taking it's toll on me.
Steve, you have reviewed the Pentax, the Sony, and may have had some time with the upcoming F700, what’s the verdict between them?

Thanks for creating a great site. I’ve only been here a few days, and have already absorbed a plethora (50 cent word) of information!
Patrickfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:33 PM   #2

Read the review on the Sony DSC-V1 at www.dcresource.com
There is a comparison of the pictures taken with this camera and a few other models. The color reproduction with this camera did not look so great to me. very dull.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:34 PM   #3

All 3 have faults. The Sony ha spoor colour, the fuji is a LOUSY 3x zoom (a joke) and the Pentax has noise issues above 100ISO.

I'd lean towards the Pentax but i am re-considering my purchase to say the least.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 5:16 AM   #4

You might want to check the Minolta D7i... It's within your price limit, and is probably closest operationally to any SLR/dSLR that you can get! 8)

Not only it beats all three that were listed with a 7x zoom, it's wide is @ 28mm a rarity in digicam world. It also sports a regular filter thread for that polarizer that will be difficult to fit (or to use) on the other cameras, beside the parallax and all up close, which are common to all Point & Shoots! :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:33 AM   #5
Default Minolta.. hmmmmm.

Your recommendation of the Minolta seems to be a good one. I have looked over all the specs, and it seems first rate (though a little on the upper end of my price scale). Probably the biggest drawback I see is the 60 second limit on movie mode. With a 640 x 480 resolution, it makes my mouth water, but leaves me hanging with that 60 sec limit. Movie mode was not a big priority at first, but after playing with a few cameras, I have of put it on my must have list. I will keep studying it, but I think the longer modes of the others are a strong selling point (for me at least).
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:08 AM   #6
Default Fuji 602 for $598

I used to own a Fuji 602Z and bought it online from a place in NJ here http://www.buydig.com/shop.php?prod_id=FJFINEPIXS602
there selling it for $598 now and yes its a USA model with all acessories. Last August is when i bought the 602 and in its price range i thought it was and still do consider it one of the best buys. It has the movie thing you want but am not sure if thats such a great thing as 20 minutes of 640 by 480 movie will fill a 1 gig microdrive. It takes best pictures at 3 mega pixel mode. As far as the biggest picture you would be able to do it depends on the subject. If its a portrait of a person were they fill the entire shot a 12 by 18 is possable with great results but if its a landscape picture then about 8.5 by 11 will be maximum without loss of detail. I use a Canon EOS 10D now which can do landscapes at 12 by 18 but NO non DSLR will do a good 12 by 18 or bigger landscape shot as they lose to much detail in "my opinion".

By they way when i did make the decision to by the 602 back in August i downloaded pictures from here of both the 602 and the Dimage 7 (not sure if it was 7 or 7I dont think 7hi was out yet) and printed them at 8.5 by 11 inch and compared and had others compare and almost everyone liked the 602 pictures i printed better. I would suggest you do somthing similar with whatever cameras you are comparing.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 1:53 AM   #7

Hi Patrick,
I would recommend that you also seriously consider the already out Oly C740 and the June release of the Oly C750. Both of these cameras have 10X optical zooms. I have a 10X optical zoom on my Oly 2100uz and can't imagine going back to a 3X or 4X lens. I have been incredibly impressed with Oly's performance, particularly the very accurate autofocus. From the reviews I have read, for your price range, either of these cameras would be terrific. Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 1:22 PM   #8
Default SLR vs. Compact? hmmm

The c750 looks like a nice camera, but at 4.2 megapixles it is at a disadvantage. Same folds for the Fuji 602. More interestingly is that people seem to like the larger SLR style (note recommendation for the Minolta as well).
I have not evaluated many reviews, but I was getting the impression that the latest crop of 5.0 meg plus compacts were on par with earlier SLR types, hence why I was looking more at the compacts as a matter of convenience. For instance I use to carry multiple lens’s for my 35 mm with a camera bag, but nowadays use a single 28-200 zoom. I know it’s a compromise, but I do have my camera with me far more often to catch those rare photos. I am therefore using the same thinking with the Digital. The smaller it is, the more often I will have it with me. It’s just a matter if finding one where I can have my cake and eat it too. Anybody else have their recommendation on the best digital in the sub $700 range, both SLR types and compact (and how close a price comparable SLR comes to the compact???) Thanks for all your help
Old Jun 6, 2003, 1:28 PM   #9

you should also have- none of the above -as a choice.

i see a lot of references to the video capabilities of the cameras. are we talking still images here or poor quality video cameras.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote