Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:52 AM   #1
Default Digital Camera Checklist!

Common sense really: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1094934,00.asp

Buyers should only buy cameras that use standard cells. Currently this means AA batteries... The use of proprietary batteries such as those employed by Sony, Panasonic and others is a seriously bad idea for the consumer.
The battle over memory is not nearly as important as that over batteries. But since the invention of Compact Flash, I have not seen a better solution for storing JPEGs. This type of memory is cheaper, more rugged, and available in higher capacities than memory using other technologies.
Flash - ... since nobody seems to care much about it until they actually get a camera and discover a lousy flash.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:49 AM   #2

Gee...I thought the #1 issue about a digital camera would be that it take good pictures! :shock:

The first thing I looked at was the type of lens it had (I wanted a megazoom camera) and that it could take good pictures.

Secondly that it had manual controls and a TTL (through the lens) viewfinder, electric or otherwise.

Third was batteries, yes AA nimhs as well as lithiums for cold weather shooting.

Fourth that it could take an external flash (albeit mine requires a proprietary cable).

Memory type was a non-issue as I don't like filling up large memory cards because as they get full they slow down...I prefer using multiple smaller cards (128meg or less); of course that preference will change with newer cameras with higher MP.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:10 AM   #3

These are what I look for in a camera:
1. The best image quality for up to 8x10 prints
2. The best lens - long zoom desired
3. The fullest controls possible - Aperture, Shutter, Manual priority; advanced control over exposure, bracketing, auto/manual focus, drive mode, remote control, etc.
4. Easy enough for the average user to take pics
5. AA batteries
6. extras included in deal.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote