Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2006, 6:08 PM   #41

Carskick wrote:

and increasing exposure compensation will only over expose the image and cause further camera shake. If anything, lower it. You will get a darker, though sharper images due to the shutter not being open as long. You can brighten them a little in photoshop, but under exposing can help in some low light situations.

Afraid I disagree about underexposing in low light. Dark areas are where noise comes out. Try a few tests. Take a properly exposed shot at ISO 1600 and a shot underexposed by -2/3 then correct the exposure you'll have a lot more noise than the shot that was properly exposed in the first place. Proper in-camera exposure is the key to keeping noise under control. Seriously though - try a few tests and see if you still disagree.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:16 PM   #42

My main point WAS to demonstrate to you how useful a review could be.

This is to fan off all the mentalities in here that "Reviews are_______"
Dude, you should go and start your own forum. Maybe you could call it

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:19 AM   #43

there are several threads with similar discussions. I wanted to point to a response in one thread which illustrates a point I keep trying to make. Read the response by Wolfroolz in this thread. It illustrates the danger to a potential buyer of not finding recommendations from people with first-hand experience doing the SAME TYPE OF PHOTOGRPHY you plan on doing. Don't take advice from someone because it's the advice you want to hear. Keep looking until you find someone who uses the camera for the same purposes you use it for. And lookk at pictures. In the entire web, if you can't find pictures taken with the camera you're considering of a subject similar to the subject you want to photograph that should set off alarm bells (unless of course you have an extremely obscure subject requirement). For most types of photography there are hundreds or thousands of photographers doing that type of photography and posting pictures.

If you want a camera for macro photography do you really want to be listening to someone who only shoots landscapes? Sometimes there are cheap alternatives and sometimes there aren't. But it's the people that shoot your type of shots that can best tell you what cameras can do the job.

Otherwise you could end up learning an expensive lesson.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote