Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:28 AM   #1

I want to offer in addition to print only sales, mounting options on my website. I have listed as mounting options Matboard and Styrene. I want to provide prints that are ready to be overmatted and framed to the customers liking. I may offer overmatting in time as well.

However, I have a question about the archival qualities of these materials. The company that does my printing also offers the following mounting services:

Matboard - Dry mount, but is not offered to prints larger than 16x20 (I sell a few panoramas so I need an alternative). The reason they don't offer larger mounts is due to warping risks.

Styrene board - plastic mounting board 2mm thick. They say it is one of the best mounting substrates and is a substitute for matboard for larger prints. But is it archival?

foamboard - 1/4" thick foam-centered board coated with though white plastic shell. Again is this archival? Is it too thick to be used for framing behind glass?

Masonite - 1/8" thick hardboard. They say this is a traditional mounting surface and lon lasting. Again is this archival?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

UPDATE: I found the answer to my own question

After further research and talking with my pro lab I found out that these substrates' adhesive forms and acid-free barier with the board and thus protect the print. The longevity of the print does not seem to be compromised by mounting. The mount however will be permanent.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links