Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1

I purchased a Canon Powershot G6 approximately 2 years ago. We have used the heck out of it, dragging it everywhere we go and to Disney World for a week. About 4 months ago the flash stopped working. This didn't pose a real problem as I do have an external flash. it is a bit inconvenient when i want to just carry my camera. My question is is this how long a digital camera will last? About 2 years ? is that the max ? have i over used it? i have a canon EOS that I have had for over 10 years and it is still going strong. I thought purchasing another canon i would get the same results. i contacted canon and they stated that it would be over $100.00 just to send it in and have them look at it. of course, its not under warranty. i'm really hoping to get some good advice. should i just purchase another camera? thanks in advance.
abarnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

I've had my Digital Rebel for over 2 years and it is still going string (except for a bad internal battery connection). As for the flash and costing a minimum of 100 bucks to get it fixed, I would say either go new, slightly used or stick with what you have and use the external flash.

The G6 was a premium camera back in 2004 with 7MP so it's definately not something to discount. If you like the camera, stick with it but if you have to have a built in flash I would not send it in for repair.

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:07 PM   #3

Any camera should last until it no longer meets your creative needs or until it becomes unusable due to breakage or lack of general support for it's output or media. You have a partial problem here and you alone have to decide to fish or cut bait!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote