Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:25 AM   #1

Anybody please give me some advice on what to charge somebody that wants to use my photo for a calendar they are putting together. They plan tohave 500 calendars made to sell. The person selling the calendars is charging $150 per page to cover their expenses like lab work and price to make the calendars.Something doesn'tfeel right to me about 500 of my photos floating around freely and once the calendar is outdated how many of my photosfrom the calendars will be mounted on peoples walls.
islandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:59 AM   #2

Not knowing how much the actual price of the calenders are (you mention production costs of $150/page, but that doesn't tell me much) the expected gross margin etc, it's hard to give an exact number. Assuming $10-15 per calender is the price, you're not really in a position to ask for much more than $100-$125, especially with the limited print run. Most calenders get chucked at the end of the year....I don't think many people are framing pages from a calender, and so what if they do. You'll be able to use this as a marketing tool, you'll be a published photographer which is kind of cool. It's really a no lose situation for you. If you're not comfortable with the arrangement, then don't do it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:08 PM   #3

Hi Island racer,

When I do a picture to be used on a calender I charge $100.00 for the use of the picture only if they put My name as the photographer for that photograph. We both sign a release to use that photo only for the calender and no other use. If they do not want to give me any credit I tell them $1000.00 and I'm off the hook because they never ever want to pay that much. Same deal for posters of local events.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote