Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:58 PM   #1
Default Which is better sports mode or manual settings

Would you say that using the sports mode would be better on my Fuji S602 for say an indoor sport such as basketball, or would I be better of setting them myself. I read somewhere that using a shutterspeed of like 1000 and possible F5.6. Setting it with 400 ISO and using the flash....what do you think? I am going to try next week but hoping maybe someone has tried the two.
JBsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2003, 1:32 PM   #2

Depends on your own personal experience...I've never used any of the preset modes because I've always used manual cameras where I had to set shutter speed and f-stop myself. Try both...get there early when they're warming up, and take some shots (I mean pictures)...see what works best for *YOU*.

It's like if you rent a moving truck to move...do you want one with an automatic transmission, or a manual one that you have to double-clutch?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 9:50 PM   #3

I will add that if you are able to use a shutter speed of 1/1000 of a second, you should be able to stop the action. You could probably go even slower. But that would have to be a very well lit stadium.

Also, the flash which is built in to most digital cameras are not very strong and have little reach. If you are in the stands trying to take a picture, I doubt the flash will. I don't know that camera, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only reached 10 feet or so. Just a guess.

I agree with Mike. Go early and try stuff out. That is the joy of digital. Take as many pictures as your memory can store and get the immedate feedback of how well it worked!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote