0-18 6 7.59%
19-25 15 18.99%
26-35 23 29.11%
36-45 15 18.99%
46-55 20 25.32%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 15, 2003, 4:05 AM   #1
Default Age

Sorry if this offends anyone, but i would find it interesting to know the kind of age span throughout the board.

Digital technology has been around for a few years now and obviously more traditionalist have converted.
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 6:33 AM   #2

Normally I would not be offended by such a poll, I was a bit dismayed to find no catagory for my age! Are people over 55 incapable of mastering digital photography? I have just purchased my fourth camera, should I give it to one of my grand children or continue to try to learn the system with my addeled old brain?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 7:48 AM   #3

Do I now await knock on door to confiscate cameras being over your age limit or is it simply not relevant being older.
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 8:20 AM   #4

Na, its just a slight bias of a younger person. People generally don't think about the age of people beyond a certain point (at least in my experience... and I've coached soccer off and on for years, so I have spent some time around kids beteen 8 and 15.) That "point" shifts over time. I might be in my 30's, but I don't think much about people over... 80. And I bet there are many people that old who use digital cameras!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:37 AM   #5

The most useful statistic to come back is not those older people who have bought and mastered a digicam, but the many many more, with high disposable income, who might buy, if the cameras and post processing for them was within their confidence range of simple to operate, simple to get results. You can't assume a PC in the equation. I'm not stereotyping as there are plenty of very competent older digicam users. Just looking at the bigger (digital) market picture

So how about some ideas for a digi photo system, suitable for an ageing population, which is ergonomic like a Brownie box and gets pics back everytime without technical knowledge - and throw in some image stab. as well?

Any probs with AF, Slow shutter warnings, media that won't format, battery operated, needs charging and discipline, fiddly usb connectors to plug in, no eyepiece dioptre adjustment, many things to learn, then forget present products for this potential market. Throw away cams are better.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:37 AM   #6

very sorry eric

i thought i put a 55-

whoever can moderate this things delete the thread if you like

sorry if i had offended anyone!
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:08 AM   #7

if some senile ol f**t was offended, so what? they should post their reply with a bit more tact, instead of accusing you young whipper-snappers of trying to muscle us old guys out of the forums and trying to put us into a retirement village, which reminds me did I ever tell you the story when I served in ww1? no? well here I go, it all started when I signed up to fight the Kaiser and his hun army, boy I tell you that was a hard week of fighting

just a second while I put my dentures in cause it sure is getting hard talking to myself with no teeth,

anyway where was I? yes that's it, the day I got married right? I still remember the day I started courting beaulla, prettier than a june bug in may, no that wasn't it, hmmm no where was I? zzzzzzzzzzz oops droped off there for a while, now speaking of mosquitoes they sure do breed em big here in ol missoura, bigga then a pole cat I tell ya, an meana then a hun general, ah yeah the huns that's what I was talking about wasn't it?

ah dangnabit! the warden, I mean nurse is calling us to go to bed! well it is 5:30 and we've got pudding for lunch tommorrow so best I get going

nice talking zzzzzzzzzz
Colt-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:33 AM   #8

I started taking photos with 35mm SLRs when I was 10.

So recently I've been taking photos (this year actually) with a digital camera. So thats 13yrs of photography?

And I have soo much to learn!!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:41 PM   #9

Used to love playing with digital animation, maya, 3ds-max, etc. Then moved on to getting good at compositing and editting, and now photography has taken my fancy.

Started taking photo's about 2 weeks ago when I bought my very first camera, Fuji finepix s304. Oh yeah, and i'm 20 :shock:
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 1:03 PM   #10

Age has less to do with it than ability and aptitude. My first camera when I was a child was an Agfa Isollete...this is a camera where you needed a separate light meter and range finder, and you had to think because the camera had no automation...you even had to manually c o c k the shutter (had to spell it that way because the forum thinks it's a bad word).

I had my first SLR in my early teens that was fully manual.

I started in the darkroom when I was 11.

These days there are now informercials for cameras that don't require a computer to view (on TV)...but you can't print from them (resolution is only high enough for TV).

My first electronic still camera (not digital, used analog video) was a Canon Xapshot.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote