Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:36 PM   #1
Default Photography courses in the UK ?

I am looking for a face to face course to take in the UK to learn more about photography.

I have had a point and shoot digital camera for a while, after trying a D60 I decided I needed manual controls, but could only afford a Canon G3. Although I have read books teaching the basics on photography I would like to take a course to learn more and maybe even change career in the future. I also think that being with like minded people would be beneficial.

Can anyone recomend a course to take which will give me a good start as a photographer?

I forgot to say, I am in the UK (North West).

I have seen part time courses such as City & Guilds, HND, HNC in photography. Are these type of formal courses something I should do? How about a degree?

Is there anyone in the UK working as a photographer who can advise me?

DarrenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 3:17 PM   #2

I'd advise you to have a look at your local college's web site to see what courses they might offer.

I have a friend who is interested in doing an evening course in photography and he found that his local college did just such a thing which is open to anyone. He didn't say what he'd get on completion, it may have been nothing. But if you really want to get a qualification from it, a City and Guilds or NVQ would be good starting points if you think it may be a future career.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 3:26 PM   #3

Also I forgot to say that you could also try a univeristy for courses if you live near one.

While I'm not aware of dedicated photography degrees (it's more likely to be incorporated into courses that cover other art & design skills as well) you might find that universities do some summer school courses while the students are on their holidays.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:21 PM   #4

I realize you said face-to-face, but it's good to get a little understanding on your own first and a good place to start (for free) is http://www.photocourse.com
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote