Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:00 PM   #1
Default Speaking of cases...

Has this ever happened to any of you?

I have a large Zero-Halliburton fitted compartment case for my analog/chemical Nikons. The case is maybe 15-18 years old (could be more) and employs what seems to be the same standard dark gray closed cell foam used by Pelican and other makes. Until a year ago when I started messing about with digital photography, everything was happy and normal in the ZH case--two F- bodies, a half dozen Nikkor lenses, a motor drive, the usual assortment of finders/ focus screens, filters and such all tucked in their little cutout compartments.

Well after a year of having not opened the case and not having fondled and fiddled with the contents there of, yesterday I had occasion to retrieve something from the case and to my utter shock/horror and dismay the entire volume of foam seemed to have imploded into a sticky mass of mush and the entire contents lay bunched together in a pile surrounded by a mass of gray crud. It's a total mess. Fortunately I had body caps and front and rear lens caps on, but still it is an unholy mess.

Does anyone know if there is a known "half-life" of the foam used in these cases and/or are there known environmental conditions that cause the kind of sudden death syndrome that seemed to strike my case. I am truly puzzled because so many years had gone by with no signs of trouble and then seemingly over night a foam metamorphosis occurred leaving disaster in its wake.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links