Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:29 AM   #1

Newbie to Steves, I have a D100 bought many years ago but want to upgrade to new 10mp size.
I have heard that the improved ccd from the d80 will be used in a future release of the D200.
Has anyone heard any rumors or have info on this? D80 has some advances but I believe I want the D200 but if a new version would be coming out, I'd wait awhile.
Thanks for your time and help.
Jenny in Cali
ps I shoot nature and scenics and post process in photoshop:?

jennyrnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:20 AM   #2

My advice is if you want the D200 you should just go ahead and buy one. I don't think Nikon is going to come out with the D300 soon because the D200 is just about as good as you can want. The D200 uses a compact flash card (CF) and does everything extremely well. I use Sandisk extreme III 2GB cards which work very well in my D200.

I also came to the D200 from a D100. The D200 is really much better because of the large buffer. With the extreme III cards I have never had a problem filling up the buffer because the cards read very fast.

Even if they did come out with a D300 I don't think I would get one because the D200 is doing every single thing I need a camera to do. And it does it all just perfect for Me.

Attached Images
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:26 AM   #3

And I'll add that it's my understanding that the sensor in the D200 is the same as the one in the D80. The way the camera gets data off the sensor is different, but the actual sensor is the same.

At least, that is what I keep seeing on the web... anyone know any better to correct me?

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4

You're correct. The D200 uses a sensor with the model number ICX493AQA, whereas the D200 uses the ICX393AQA. The CCD itself is identical on both, but the chip in the D80 only has two "channels" connecting it to the camera compared to four on the D200's chip. All this effects is the speed of operation, and is the reason why the D80 can only take 3fps instead of 5fps like the D200.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5

Thanks to all for your help. I will be buying a D200 and just wanted to make sure if they were about to "upgrade" the ccd that I didn't but the current one just before it changed.

jennyrnca is offline   Reply With Quote