Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

I got a new Sony DCS-T10 compact camera for christmas. The main reason for getting this was the portability, and that the Fuji we've had for years ate batterys and took literally 10 seconds between shots to recycle. It was like 3+ years old, and we were never impressed, although accepted the images since we were cheap. Anyway, I bought this sony thinking the added portability and quicker shots would be just what we needed, and expected the images to be as good or better, since the fuji was a 3mp and this sony 7mp, and years newer. However, the images look very blocky and grainy. Not really great, and even outside today, cloudy and rainy, I took a few quick shots and wasn't pleased. I have the WB set to Cloudy, picture set to Fine and 7mp and most of the other things auto. Disabled the red eye.

Here's a quick link to one image:

I notice on the original as well this uploaded one ared/blue blockyness for lack of a better word.

Here's another just taking a shot across the street:

Is this just what to expect from this camera? Or can it do better with a better operator? Opinions on this wanted desparately.

zekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2

The top one is set at ISO 1000 !!!

Higher iso = more noise

Some cameras such as dslrs and the various Fujis (f30) etc can do ISO 1000 well in low light situatons, most others can't.

From the IR review of the T10

Starting at ISO 400, noise becomes more evident, and the noise suppression processing begins to noticeably blur fine detail. The 800 and 1,000 ISO settings result in pretty blurry images, with a strong noise pattern that's quite noticeable. (When printed, the ISO 800 and 1000 shots look grainy and rough even at print sizes as small as 4x6 inches, although they'd likely be acceptable to most consumers at that size.)
Try using a lower ISO or use the flash.

In well lit conditions the higher ISO could be used to force fast shutter speeds, which could be used for sports shots etc, however as the light drops the usefulness of ISO 800 and 1000 drops as the noise increases..

You could run it though noise reduction software, NoiseNinja, Neat Image , NoiseWare, etc

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3

Ok, I reduced the ISO to 400 and think it came out better, but for whatever reason, the steady shot wasn't as active. I steadied my hand and it seemed better.

I had it set at Auto for ISO, which is really what I wanted. An Auto camera, but don't mind setting it higher or lower depending on the need. What's the best setting for most indoor, incandescent light, family shots? 200 like the speed film? Sorry as I'm not much of a photographer.
zekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote