Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:49 AM   #1

During the film era, there was not that many cases about stealing images compare to our new era of digital photography.
These days the crooked people under the good name of Pro-Photographer could steal any images thru internet very easily. Then they could change them little bit and present them as their own hard work to few fools.

I DO have a proof.

I managed to caught a thief during my daily critic/comment writing among images. [(K=37501) on

Then I managed the spot this.

Now examine those images for yourself and judge if I am right in my reason.

Good luck.

kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2

.357 with cross cut hollow points dipped in feces

calm down, just for today

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3

There is definitely a need to be very careful in posting images online. The website serviceI use (Smugmug)allows for the online protection of my images by using both options that defeat the right-click "copy" option and the ability to use watermarks if you want to go the extra step, butwhenyou post images to sites like this you are open to people snatching them. You can always post links instead of images if you have a webpage with the above abilitiesand fear losing control of your files.

The internet is a wonderful place to share ideas and images. I take the above precautions often, but I do also post images on sites where they could be picked off if someone chose to do so. You take chances when you participate in public forums. I thinkthe positives outweigh the possible negatives for us normal, non-working professionals.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 AM   #4

The easiest thing to do, if you really want to protect your images is to post only low resolution samples (ie: 640x480) and/or put a big watermark across it.

As for preventing the right click - that is a very bad practice, as all it really serves to do is annoy people. Plus it does not stop anyone from saving the image to their hard disk. Did you know that if the image is on your screen, it is already on your hard disk. It is in the browser cache.

Ultimately, the only sure fire way to protect your image is to not post it on the internet at all. I have seen cases where someone even went to the trouble of actually removing a watermark. Dumb, but true.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:03 PM   #5

I have seen some examples of very well done watermark removal. If I hadn't seen the original, I wouldn't have though there was a watermark at all.

And there are plugins for firefox directly designed to defeat the tricks used to prevent right-click-save-as.

I sell my images, so I am always afraid of people stealing my images and printing them instead of buying them from me. In fact, I know people who use my images as their screen saver (which is also a copyright violation.) The only thing I post are small (no more than 600 pixels on a side) images. I have finally accepted that posting small images is the way to go. It doesn't showcase my work very well... but such it life. I fully admit its a compromise.

My final rationalization was this:
I post that size because anyone willing to take an image that small and print it *and be happy with the results* are probably not going to be willing to spend money to buy a better print from me.

For the longest time I just didn't post my best stuff. I carry prints of my best stuff in a notebook and show that when I go places. But I really gotta expand my web presence if I want to get beyond a certain point in this. So I've found a middle ground that I can deal with.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote