Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2003, 3:11 AM   #1
Default need advice olympus 5050/canon g3

I was wondering if you all could give me a third party objective opinion on a camera purchase. After having doing quite a bit of research I have narrowed my choices down to two cameras, the canon g3 and the olympus c5050. I consider myself a photography hobbyist and have several SLR cameras but want to make the jump to digital. I am familar with most photographic techniques and theory. In considering which camera to purchase, I plan to use to the camera for most of my photographic needs which at some point will include using it for underwater photography. I have never owned a digital camera nor have I owned any products by either company and would appriciate any insight into pros and cons of each company and camera. Several important features find necessary are size of the camera, quality, robustness, ease of use, versitility of the camera, durability, and price. Thanks for your time and insight.
hannibal-989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:08 AM   #2

Ouch, tough call.

I personally lead towards the Canon because it has slightly more zoom and a swivilling LCD. It has an AF lamp (not sure if the Oly does??) and is very, very highly regarded.

Peopel with more knowledge of the Oly will answer better for you.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:14 AM   #3

I don't have either camera (I have the Oly C4000Z).

The 5050 also has a tilting LCD screen and does indeed have a focus assist light.

It has 5mp vs. 4 mp and f1.8 vs. f2 (both really no difference) and has 3x zoom vs. 4x for the G3.

5050 has great Macro capability...not sure about the G3.

Other than finding someone with experience with both cameras, the best thing is to go to the store, hold them both and play with them a bit, and see which "feels best" to you.

Either would be a great choice.

Good luck!
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:41 AM   #4

If you have several SLR cameras, you probably have some lenses. You should probably consider one of the new generation digital SLRs compatible with the lenses you own.

DSLRs have almost no shutter lag as well as large sensors compared to fixed lens digital cameras.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:23 PM   #5

You have made a good choice of two fine cameras. The major differences (and they are not very major) is:

Canon Olympus
4mp 5mp
4x optical zoom 3x optical zoom

I prefer the Olympus because I have used several Olympus digitals in the past.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 3:50 PM   #6

The Oly 5050 has great reviews for low light, which may be a factor for your underwater shots.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote