Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:20 PM   #1

I have been trying to take shots of my son playing hockey, but the action shots seem blurred, I have been shooting in the sports mode, but apperantly with little luck. Any of suggestions? thanks.
dstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:26 AM   #2

You are getting blur because the camera did not or cannot select a shutter speed fast enough to stop the action.

I'm not sure there is a good answer. I took a brief look at the manual for your camera and the camera doesn't have any manual shooting modes where you can select aperture and shutter speed. It just has the different scene modes like sports mode. The manual even mentions sports mode is good 'for shooting sports outdoors in good light' which is a good indicator it isn't designed to allow you to shoot in low light conditions. My guess is the mode is necessary to turn on the camera's version of continuous focus so it can track a moving subject. But that mode may limit the ISO being used to a certain value.

Here's the one question for you to try - will your camera allow you to select an ISO value when in sports mode. If it does, you'll need to set the ISO to ISO 1600. That's the first step. If it doesn't allow you to set ISO then you're in real trouble. And, I keep coming back to the manual specifically stating sports mode is good for outdoor sports in good light - so I'm guessing you're either not going to be able to set ISO or that their focus tracking won't work well in low light.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote