Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:49 PM   #1

Curious for various file management techniques.

1) First, how do you resize files to smaller, emailable, computer display, palm pilot display, etc. I have Premiere Elements and Canon's software that came with sd450 and other with 30d. Do these have to be done individually or can you do entire batches?

2) What is best way to rename batches of files? Example, Bob's Birthday 01, or Beach Trip. Any reason to ever keep the original file names? For Canon as an example, the IMG_2001 format.

3) What are the (hidden) thumbnail files stored in each of my inividual picture folders? Any reason to keep them? When I drag files from one folder to another, I'm continually replacing these thumbnail files. Should I be keeping them??
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:41 PM   #2

First and most importantly: save the originals exactly as they came out of your camera with no changes whatsoever. If you do that, you can always get back to the original and undo whatever boneheaded editing mess you make of it - don't ask how I know that. Knowledge comes from experience, experience comes from a lack of knowledge.

IrfanView (Freeware - www.irfanview.com) will deal with the first two items in you question. Other software will also do it, but none cheaper. IrfanView is a good program to have for all kinds of batch processes and as a good thumbnailer/viewer.

I don't know what the hidden thumbnails are about, but would guess that they serve the software that came with your camera. I wouldn't worry about them one way or the other unless they use up a fair amount of storage space.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote