Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 4, 2003, 1:11 PM   #1
Default Digital camera security

My Toshiba PDR M81 digital camera has been stolen a second time from Pangaea in New York City (first time was at my brother's wedding in Salt Lake City). So I need to get a new camera.

Are there any digital cameras that have any security built in? I'm thinking that if I don't use the camera for 24 hours, I should have to enter some password (else the LCD will display how to contact the camera's owner). This is such a brain dead obvious feature to have, to decrease the street value to thieves. Anyone know anything definitive on this?

Csaba Gabor from New York
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:29 PM   #2

I've never heard of the feature, but it is interesting. Sorry.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 9:13 PM   #3

I too was wishing my camera would have that feature...my PDAs have it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 10:39 PM   #4

PDAs have no security, atleast for theives. Most PDAs have a rest button to restore the entire OS to its original state and in the process wipe all files/apps/games added to the system. Only benefit (and its a good one) is that your personal files don't end up in someone elses hands.

For example the Toshiba i740 I had (traded it in and for $300 more got a much more useful laptop) only requires the reset button to be pressed during a hard reboot at the same time and its back to the original state your PDA started with.

koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 11:15 PM   #5

Interesting situation, but I see no reason to have such a featue. Surely having a locking feature is great, but how will it help you? Maybe the culprit wont be able to see your photos. But is that really a concern for a normal photographer? For the thief - he or she has got themself a digital camera, and having met a locking feature wont make them return it to you. They must be stupid to do so.

Having a lock is great, but it wont help you prevent your camera from theft, or get help get it back.
HSKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote