Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1

I used the search and didnt come up with any good answers... can someone explain lens fungus? how to avoid it , prevent it? Until today I havent heard of such a thing.

thanks as always,

chrissch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:19 PM   #2

google "lens fungus" and you will come up with lots of information. I had a fungus grow on the lens of an old canon qlIII rangefinder, one of my favorite film cameras. It actually etched the coatings on the lens.

Keep lenses clean and dry. dry storage especially. If you use your camera in moist, humid conditions make sure you take it out of the case when you get home and let it dry.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:50 AM   #3

Yes, moisture is the enemy. The same holds true for the internals of your camera. The ultimate solution of course, is to keep them in a sealed bag with dessicant at all times. Unfortunately, it seems to be somewhat difficult to actually use them this way. :evil:

Rapid temperature change, from cold to hot will allow moisture to migrate into cameras and lenses, and this can be one of the biggest causes of fungus. Have a large zip-lok type bag to hold camera and lens when going from outside in the cold to inside in the warm, or, from air-conditioned buildings to outdoors in warm places. Keep some dessicant in the bag and change it often.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:52 PM   #4

Light apparently also helps prevent fungus. I heard of one person who always fires a flash a couple of times into the lens before putting it away. I've also read that storing your lenses in a lighted display case is a good way to prevent fungus.

Once it's in there, you probably have to have it cleaned professionally to get rid of it. It will start affecting image quality once it gets at the coatings.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote