Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:12 PM   #1

Hi -

Ive recently aquired a Canon 350D / XT Rebel SLR and for most parts its fantastic - I love the portrait photos it does on auto mode but for the rest i find manual the only solution. More to the point, Ive found a really nice place where i live in south east london to take pictures of the sunset thats overlooks the whole of south London. the only problem is im used to taking sunsets with a casio exilim EX-120 which subsequently has a " sunset" mode on it, which im assuming alters certain colors in the white balance...

My problem is this.

Basicly, i cant find a balance between the two. Its either over exposed or under exposed..

If anyone has any ideas it would be really appreciated!
Attached Images
aarongroves103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:13 PM   #2

Here is where a graduated netural density filter comes in real handy. But short of having one there are a couple of things you can try. If you expose for the bright sky, the forground and mountains are going to be underexposed. if you expose for the mountains then the sky gets blown out. In this particular scene I might have tried to expose for the brightest spot on the green grass in the forgroundand then bracket a stop or two both ways. You can also merge two images in photoshop, one exposed for the sky and one exposed for the forground, but you have to use a tripod and it involves more post processing than I care to do.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote