Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:40 AM   #1
Default Nikon Coolpix 4500 - Write speed to the CF card

I'm hitting a brick wall trying to find out at what speed (MB/S) the camera sends information to the CF card. This would be usefull in determining the optimum speed of my next CF card. Some dealers are saying that it does not matter while others say to get the 16X.

The way I look at it there is no use having a card that has a write speed that is greater than the capacity of the Camera.

Any thoughts as to what the write speed of the 4500 is ?

Much appreciated
galipec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:01 AM   #2

Nikon has never officially stated the transfer speed of the 4500's card interface. I use one regularly to do most of the product shots in my reviews and it -does- make a difference with a faster card.

There are lots of fast (16x and faster) cards for sale on eBay for cheap now. I have used the 20x Ridata and 30x Transcend cards and it makes a big difference in how fast the 4500 saves to the CF card. It won't however speed up the TIFF write times very much as that is all internal image processing time and little write ro card time.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 6:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. At least now I have an idea what to look for. IT's unfortunate that Nikon does not provide this information.

galipec is offline   Reply With Quote