Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:28 PM   #1

I'm a newbie, but I know there are numrous ways to makephotographs containing the same things. You can move towards it untill only the things you want in yourphoto is within the camera's field of view, or you can take the photo from a distance and zoom towards the scene or choose to crop it later. Depending on the point of view and how you crop, the scenes perspective will be different.

I would guess most of you guess consider this when taking photos. How do you handle perspective? When cropping pictures, do you make sure keep the picture cenetered on the camaras original focus or do you try to avoid cropping/zooming?

I've attached a picture to show what i mean by different perspectives.
Attached Images
Dhaerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:53 PM   #2

I try to get the shot framed right on the camera. I have a 6MP Nikon D50, so for poster size prints, it doesn't provide as much crop room as 10MP or higher. Also, getting it right in-camera, whether exposure or composition is a good practice.

But cropping and zooming is unavoidable. I'm not a purist, so I crop when needed, and zoom when I want to. For cropping, I crop-out the stuff I don't like, it doesn't matter if it's centered or not (usually not). I also digitally remove stuff I don't like. I mean, if painters can paint a scene and omit distracting powerlines, if they want to, why can't I?

I do watch for vertical lines on the sides that bends. I try to avoid or correct them, unless I want to emphasis curvature. They look good in certain occasions, but rarely.

For landscape shooting, I like using a wide angle lens to make the foreground much larger that it is compared to the backgroung:

I also like backing up a bit and then zooming-in to make the background bigger than it would compared to the foreground (think silhouette of a wolf on a full moon).

In this shot, the clock tower behind is actually far away and much smaller had I been close to the bow and arrow, but my backing away and zooming in, I was able to make the tower look bigger. I actually wanted to make them the same size (or the tower larger), but there's construction behind me when I took this, so I couldn't backup any further.

Same idea here, except it's the bridge that I pulled in.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:09 PM   #3

Nice tutorial, Ray and well illustrated too.

There is no one way to handle perspective. One uses the tools at hand to make the point you want to make or express what you see in your mind's eye.

I also try to as much in-camera as possible because that's my most immediate connection with the subject.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:36 PM   #4

Read this article at Luminous Landscape. It might help you understand.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote