Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:51 AM   #1

can you help me between difference or someone compare this camera?
peperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2002, 4:55 PM   #2

I had the same problem trying to decide between the two & finally plumped for the Nikon.
I have had it two weeks & so far have taken about 250 photos. Macro & close ups are fine but landscape views (which was the reason for buying it & also for going digital) are all out of focus, no matter what setting I have used. I had some advice on this site but with no luck .
Tomorrow it's going back to the shop for hopefully a replacement, I've already had to change the card reader & a faulty card.
The camera handles fine but it's the focusing which lets it down.
I think that the build quality is also very good, but any camera no matter what should take in focus photos. Hope this helps you decide.
allyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 7:21 AM   #3

steves and dpreview has extensif reviews, leaving almost nothing to imagination, so glance thru the specs & sample pics .

go to a /real/ shop and get the "feel"

consider which brand name fits your image : while both R long-time players, Canon spells moderate efficiency, while Nikon spells precise optics .

which design do U prefer ? G2 goes back in time to "retro", while 5000 is avant-guarde .

in the end, I'll recommend G2 for the beginner/family, and 5000 for the experimentalist/singles .
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 4:44 PM   #4

I have both the Nikon 5000 and the Canon G2...

The 5000 is the first Nikon that I have been unhappy with. The G2 is a joy to live with and use.

My beefs (if I can remember them all) with the 5000 are the incredibly long shutter lag time IF THE LCD IS TURNED OFF, and the incredibly SHORT battery life if the LCD is turned on. Also the inability to focus in low light. The flash exposure also most of the time is wrong.

But... the 5000 has a WONDERFUL wider-angle (equivalent to about 28 mm) and an optional almost distortion-free even wider lens and I love them! And macro shots with the Nikon are the best I've ever had with digital.

But which camera do I take with me daily? The G2. Battery life is incredible. Low-light focusing is flawless, flash exposures are always right on. Sure it's lower resolution (I'm hoping the G3 will be a major improvement) than the Nikon but I print 13" x 19" and the results are superb.

Hope this helps...

TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote