Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:52 AM   #1
Default Organizing & finding photos: what's the best software?

I'm getting so many images that I can't find them anymore. They are spread out oer various CD's & numerous folders on various drives. Can anyone suggest some picutre database photo organizer software that isn't too expensive?
shenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:06 AM   #2

I've used Thumbs + for a long time and liked it alot. I recently bought Adobe Photoshop Album which has a very nice way of tagging pictures so that you can find them later. The only problem is if you move a batch of picture, lets say to a CD, the program has no way to batch change the location. What I have done is not enter the pictures into the database until I transfer them to a CD.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:34 AM   #3

Im still using a simple directory structure under Windows XP, but employing large file names. For example -

That's still working ok as a simple file search will allow me to pull back species, location or even a basic date range, whatever the directory the files are in.

Question though. I make 2 CD copies of my favourite images, does any software support the idea of multiple backups ?
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:18 AM   #4

As long as each CD has its own identifier Thumbs will store both backups.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:29 PM   #5

I use ACDsee. It seems to keep track of where pics are even on remote drives and can refresh itself if you move files. It stores it's master database and thumbnails on your local HD, so access to bring up the directories is very fast. With some cunning you can burn the master index and thumbnails, with notes, to a CD with the pics - so nothing gets lost. Notes are kept in a plain text file, so if you lose the prog, you still have access to the printed catalogue and notes.

The ACDSee32 base version is very lightweight - less than 2Mb, you can specify thumbnail image properties so get the most out of slower laptops - and it will re-size pics for emailing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote