Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1

Does anyone ever worry about there camera / equipment getting stole or robbed of it while out & about.

with all the idiots & crack heads out there stealing & such a person by themselves out on a trail or even in the city your kind of a sitting duck, i was just wondering if very many ever have problems out there while shooting.

loosing your stuff sure would hurt big time.
joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:37 AM   #2

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:43 AM   #3

I guess it depends on what kind of gear you have. If you have a $300 digicam I wouldn't be terribly worried about theft - I couldn't imagine someone being held up for a small camera - which would have to be sold to a pawn shop for very little money. So, I don't think that carrying a digicam makes you more of a 'mark' for a thief. I think if you're going to be held up it's just a matter of wrong place / wrong time - or some other indication you're carrying something valuable.

If you're talking about $2000 in DSLR equipment or lenses then the answer is simple - you should have the gear insured.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4

Or in my case, when I carry around $11,000USD worth of gear with me (and that is only a rough estimate) I am quite afraid at times.

It really depends on where I am. There are places where it never even crosses my mind. For example - in places where you can't camp, you can only hike. Then there really isn't a lot of risk. On the other hand, when a wester species warbler showed up within the confines of Boston.... then I didn't walk with my gear out while I was going there. When I was with the bird - and about 5-10 birder's as well - I felt safe.

This topic has come up on other forums I'm on. Once someone asked if people were at all afraid when they go out to shoot in the wild (And these are people who photograph bear and other wild animals.) The answer from almost everyone was that they were afrade of people *way* more than animals. Animals are generally predictable and work at a more base level (self protection, food,...) humans don't.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5

I think you just have to be smart about it, where you are and things like that. I go to San Francisco a lot, where adjacent to the city's busyier, touristy area is the city's worst neighborhood. I try not to venture to that part of town, unless I'm with some one, or I'm ready to swing my monopod.:-)

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:19 PM   #6

cant say i have ever worried about it........i carry camera in a backpack that doesnt look like a camera bag........and been six foot four i tend not to get too much bother if u know what i mean,.........size can help !!!

but then again i do landscapes and all i see are walkers not gangsters

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7

Something that might set your mind at ease is that most homeowners' insurance policies, most renters insurance policies, and most auto insurance policies will cover the cost of a stolen camera. You select the applicable policy depending on the circumstance.

BTW, that's an advantage of having one agent for all your insurance policies. Your agent can tell you which policy will cover you in any given situation.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:25 PM   #8

I have had a couple of problems in the past 10 years or so. BUT I do carry a 38 special with a permit. Problems were solved before they got out of control. I don't really do journalism any more orplace myselfin bad neighborhoods alone any more so I don't really foresee any more of the problems I had faced in the past.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:37 PM   #9

Not at all. I went to my insurance agent and pruchased a seperate insurance policy for my photography equipment. Photography is a serious hobby for me and I have around $5000.00 in camera and lenses alone. For $40.00 a year I am protected against theft, loss, or accidential damage at full CURRENT replacement value.

Do not get a rider under you home owners policy for your camera equipment. If you have a problem it counts against your homeowners policy and could cause your rates for you homeowners policy to go up.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:03 PM   #10

I also have a seperate policy on my equipment. Mine is acutally a business policy (inland marine policy)which also has some liability insurance included in it among other things. If you get paid for any photography work or have people come into your home for photos, you need a business policy. If you just need to cover your equipment, and you don't get paid for your work, then a policy like the one gryphonslair99 has is what you need. However if you do take photos for hire or have people in your home for photos the rider policies and even policies like gryphonslair99 has won't cover your equipment. Be sure and tell your insurance agent that you do get paid for your photography work and he can set you up with the correct policy. Of course the business policies are more expensive, mine runs about $480 per year but if I plug my strobes in a outlet in a church and it shorts out and sets the chruch on fire, I'm covered along with theft, accidental damage and all the other things at full replacement cost. The cost of this type of policy depends on the income generated from yourwork, mine is the minimun.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote