Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:07 PM   #11

I used to work with old view cameras and that is a low tech art. I had to fabricate parts to make pictures work and to make the pictures cost efficient. The toilet paper tube magnifier/macro lens trick was one of the things I made, not to be cheap but to get the job done. The business I worked for thought it was strange that I raided the privacy room not to steal the toilet paper but only the cardboard tube. 8)

Almost as good as the macro tube lens was the xerox copier telephoto lens for the 4x5 view camera. I got surprisingly great light coverage on the film using the 8x10-inch lens (209 mm) on 4x5 film. Don't worry; I raided a broken copier.. :roll:

You should see my cardboard 4x5 view camera with a Poloroid camera-nose glued on it...a classic! I kept the electronic shutter for the nose and it became an auto exposure range-finder view camera. It worked great. :shock:
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:46 PM   #12

Originally Posted by KCan
You can also use a magnifying glass , worth the experience although vigneting is terrible, but it adds an artistic touch also
Sorry, just to correct a detail, I mean distortion at the edge, not “vigneting” here
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:35 PM   #13
Default Extra lens

The magnifying glass idea works surprisingly well. Sometimes you can get one very cheaply indeed. I have two.

One is the plastic objective lens from a 2-inch long kid's toy telescope that cost $1.50 Canadian. The plastic telescope tube that holds it just happens to be a perfect fit for my Leica Digilux zoom (same camera as the Fuji 1700MX).

The other is the objective lens from a broken pair of 7x50 binoculars, bought at a garage sale for $5. I removed it from the binoculars and mounted it in a cardboard tube that I lined with felt - and it's a perfect fit over the lens barrel of my Olympus C2100 UZ.

Here are links to some close-ups taken with these lenses -

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:24 PM   #14
Default Re: Can I Use a Lense To Increase Macro Capabilties?

Originally Posted by caramelcord
if I buy a camera which can not focus for macro closer than 6" (ie Minolta Models), will I be able to buy a macro lens to allow me to get closer?
What you are looking for is close-up lenses. If your camera lens is threaded (apparently, it is based on your posts), you may need step rings. The "It ALl Starts with Threads and Rings..." page in the "Filters" section of my Coolpix 4500 guide provides you with the basics of step rings. If exposure time is very short, you can actually hand-hold close-up lenses in front of your camera. If image quality is not a concern, a reasonable magnifying glass is fine. The problem is that spherical aberration and chromatic aberration may cause the image to blur with color fringing. Since a set of average close-up lenses with diopter +1, +2 and +4 is not very expansive, I strongly suggest the use of close-up lenses. As a quick start, Tiffen and Hoya are good brands. Check the "Close-Up" page of my Coolpix 2500 user guide for the basics and use of close-up lenses.

Originally Posted by caramelcord
Are they relatively expensive?(I'll be on a tight budget after I purchase the camera). Are there any drawbacks to using a lens?
The above mentioned close-up lenses are reasonably cheap. Quality-wise, they would not be disappointing for a long period. Yes, there are drawbacks. FIRST, cheap close-up lenses reduce the image quality of your camera lens. SECOND, your Minolta has a thread of 30.5mm (if I recall correctly), you need to pay a few more $$$ to buy a step-up ring. THIRD, stacking close-up lenses together reduces quality further. FOURTH, you will also need a tripod, even a mini one is useful because the magnifying power of the close-up lenses also magnifies camera shake!

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:14 AM   #15

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, i much appreciate it.
I now have a greater understanding of lenses on cameras, and your knowledge will benefit me.
Shene, your site is great and the info page on lenses really was a great help to me. Also thanks for answering my questions in detail.
Thank you all very much.
I will let you all know what camera I get (im to-ing and throw-ing between different makes and models), and how I get on with the lenses.
Thanks again,
caramelcord is offline   Reply With Quote