Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:31 AM   #1

I have some questions about firmware, are they more or less updates for your camera to increase perforamce? What type of areas do firmware updates cover, i.e. noise reduction, exposure ect...?

Are these updates downloadable through a usb commection or do your have to send the body in? Where do you find firmware updates, the manufactures website?

As you can see I have a lot of questions, I'm kind of in the dark about it. Anyone that wants to lend a hand and inform me about firmware or give some websites where i can read about it would be much appreciated. Thanks
abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2

Manufacturers occassionally udate firmware for various reasons. Some reasons include adding functionality, fixing bugs or tweaking performance. It doesn't happen all that often and most cameras never recieve a firmaware update. To find out if updates exist, you can check on the manufacturers website. Most firmaware updates are simple to do, and generally just require a simple download to a memory card and following the instructions given.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:21 AM   #3

Firmware updates most often come due to bugs in the original firmware release. In other cases a firmware update will add new functionality (such as the ability to work with newer memory cards) or even new features. But most often it will be tweaks to existing features.

Performing a firmware upgrade is quite easy. Usually copy the upgrade to a memory card, insert it into the camera and turn the camera on, often while holding down certain prescribed buttons.

DSLR's probably get the most firmware upgrades, followed by the high end P&s cameras. Most p&s cameras never see a firmware upgrade.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote