Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:34 PM   #11

Okay, as of now I am rather new to digital photography so I want something that I can use and learn and evolve to hopefully get better and learn about everything... So I'm thinking something with manual control will be better so I wont have to shell out a bunch of cash again down the line.

The zoom is not a necessity, but the low light, night, and action shots are. I would like to be able to zoom a bit though... 10X and 12X stabalized I think might be over doing it, but I don't want to get something that's got a whole ton of digital zoom, because I could just do that in Photoshop if I had too...

So that said, I guess now that I've learned a bit this is what I want:

Good at action
Good at low-light and night
2-4 Megapixels preferably in the higher end
Some optical zoom but not as big as 10X or 12X
Manual controls (no modes)
At or under $1000 Canadian Dollars

I think it'll be a bit easier if I don't go for the big zoom cameras...
Anyone have any suggestions of cameras they have personally tried? I want to make sure what I spend my money on is going to last me a while, and I wont have to upgrade to get manual controls...

For manual controls, I know of aperature and shutter speed, what others are there that I should be considering?
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:31 PM   #12

If it wasn't for the need to take great night shots the Fuji 3800 would be the way to go .. or the 602.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 12:24 PM   #13

How do those two perform in just low light and not complete darkness?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 2:58 PM   #14
Default my 2 cents

I just bought my oly c750 yesterday and although I am not a pro or anything even close I'd say it takes pretty darn good pics.I had no problems taking distance shots with the 10x optical zoomed all the way out without a tripod.Admittedly the pictures are not quite as sharp as when using a lower zoom but in all honesty if your an amateur like me the pics are more than good enough. Leaning on something or heres an idea actually getting a tripod will rid you of any shakes im sure and even better pictures
Not to take anything away from people on here but alot of you are very serious photographers and even a slight hint of imperfection is too much.For most of our eyes though the pics are great.

Oly c750
Oly 256mb xd
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 3:08 PM   #15
Default Message for Explicit

You know, it just occured to me, with a screen name like Explicit I think I know why low light shots are so important to you ops: :lol: Seriously, you might want to look at the Sony 717 Cybershot for lowlight pics, don't know how it does on action. Check out my WebShots site - most of these pics were taken with the Oly C-730, a few with the Oly C-700. One picture is worth a thousand posts....... Best - john

fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 4:22 PM   #16

Well actually my screen name "explicit" has nothing to do with low light shots But anyways, the reason I didn't want to go for the c-750 is because it isn't good for action or low light slickShooter, but thanks for your input

I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to slice something off of my wish list here... Maybe there just isn't a do everything camera...