Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:06 PM   #1
Default non-USA purchased digital cameras

considering purchasing a Sony DSC P-10 or Olympus 400 Sylus. I am going to Hong Kong on business in a few days. Previously, cameras could be purchased here at a discount. I have read about problems with purchasing "gray market" cameras in the US, ie no guarantee, incorrect software, etc..... what problems will I have, and is it worth the discount (if there still is a discount?) Any comments please.
fehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:21 PM   #2

Its a crap shoot. I wouldn't do it myself, but on the other hand, I've never had a warranty issue with a camera.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:44 AM   #3

Many u.s. offices of camera companies will not honor warranties from other countries, so if you had a problem with the camera, you'd have to take it back to Hong Kong. Personally, I think the risk of getting faulty merchandise outweighs any discount to be had.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:31 PM   #4
Default It's a good way to get new model cameras

I just purchased a Konica KD-510z made for the Japanese Market from an Ebay seller that had two (and he can't get anymore).

It came without a warranty (Konica U.S. will not warranty it), but I wanted this camera. I was willing to take the risk of not having a warranty, since the seller guaranteed that it would not arrive Dead on Arrival, and that it was in perfect condition (it arrived in perfect condition as promised). The "pocketable" Konicas have a very good build quality, so I'm glad I purchased it.

Others are finding ways to purchase the Konica KD-510z from dealers in Hong Kong (since it's not shipping in the U.S. yet). So, if you want a camera not available here yet (like my Konica), you could get one while on your trip to Hong Kong.

I also understand that the Konicas available in Hong Kong have English Printed Manuals. My Japanese Version came with a Japanese Printed Manual and Japanese Language Decals on the camera. LOL. However, manuals in .pdf file format for multiple languages are included on a CD (you can set the language desired in the camera's setup).

P.S. -- I had the Sony P-10 you are considering but I returned it. I like the Konica KD-510z much better. I got the KD-510z (no warranty) for $390.00 including Priority Mail Shipping.

See my Konica KD-510z photos here:

See my Sony P10 Photos here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote