Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:11 AM   #1
Default Camera for mountain biking/snowboarding???

Hi all

I have a quick question. I currently own an Olympus c4000 and was thinking about picking up a 'beater' camera that i can take out on the trials with me. But, with the money drying up because of other 'toys', I've been thinking about taking the Oly out to the trials and using that to take pics. My question is, if I do take it out to the trials, is there a high likelyhood that the lens would be knocked out of place? Or is this something I am being paranoid about? I ask because I remember someone mentioning that if your lens gets knocked out of alignment, you might as well buy a new camera.

I was looking for a cheap (~$150) 2 or 3mp camera with optical zoom but as of late, can't find any...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hocuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:26 AM   #2

Hey Hocuz,
If you drop, slide or bump the 4000 you will most likely dismember the lens entirely (i did that mountain biking with my 3000). I now have a 5050, that I still take out, but put it in an underwater housing ( so I can m.bike, and w.w.kayak and still shoot). If you are not going to shoot while riding and only need to carry the camera safely in your backpack, then the best thing for you is (again a waterproof ) pelican case. It is hard plastic, and padded in the inside, so if you drop it it will protect the camera. It has survived a river run of about 1 1/2 kilometre through w. water, hitting every rock on its way through two class 2 and one class 4 rapid. Its bombproof.
cheers, tabbasco.
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote