Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 28, 2007, 1:57 AM   #1

Greetings all, I'd like some advice on some good software for downloading images off a memory card. I've got a few different camera brands, so i'm not looking for a brand specific downloader (zoombrowser, etc). I've used downloader pro, which is alright, but i was hoping for something that would do the following.

Create folders based on date of photo/video/audio taken

Seperate different media into a seperate folder. (ie, video and audio files) into a seperate dated folder away from my jpeg and raw files.

I hope this is clear. Something that will do the above mentioned stuff automatically.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Therealjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 8:30 AM   #2

I do not use image downloading software and I never will.

I use a card reader and windows explorer, where I copy and paste the images from my memory card to the drive/directory of my choice.

Simple, fast, direct.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 9:49 AM   #3

I would go with what "amazing" just told you. Save images direct to what ever drive you want. I just bought an external hard drive and now I just click on "file" , "save image as" and find the drive letter for the external drive. You can make as many folders and sub folders as you like. Windows built image viewing software will allow you to view anything on the drive.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4

I use a card reader also but when I plug my card in it opens my image program which is photoshop elements then I can brouse to where I want to put the images, create a folder and name itto put them in, rename the files, itdownloads the images andyour done, well except for any post processing you want to do.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5

I use IDimager and love it. Very full functioned, excellent storage system, also has a raw converter and image editor.

It is free for the "lite" version and its very good.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:52 PM   #6

I recommend you cam2pc.
It a very fast and direct image downloading and viewer/browser. In my opinion it is the best. Not bloated at all like more software in this category are.

They have a freeware version that make all you could want to do.

angel6700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:26 PM   #7

I vote for cam2pc too. Its image browser is extremely powerful too with lots of features but also designed in such a way that the extra features don't become a burden if you don't know how to use them. Not only it downloads (from camera or from card reader) and stores in folders by date (you configure this) but it also automatically rotates images based on EXIF orientation info and can rename them on the fly if you want to do that, resize,set them to read-only and more.

The image downloader (what you asked about) is very simple to use and appears automatically when you insert a card in the card reader (if selected in Windows as the default action on card insertion) or connect the camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote