Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1

How do you guys resize your images?

I'm just a beginner, but I have read a bit online and started to do the following...

- Batch process an album (shot as JPEG) with Noiseware default setting and save images as PNG

Could initially doing this lead to smaller files sizes after conversion back to JPG?

- Resize with FastStone Resizer and save as JPEG Quality 90

To my understanding denoising the original JPEG and saving it as a PNG won't harm the original; the harm comes when you denoise the original JPEG to save as a JPEG, then resize the JPEG and save as JPEG again. At least you save in one lossless format through part of the processing.

Basically trying to retain my photo quality while having a rational file size. Any tips or help would be appreciated!

*edit found FastStone to be a better resizer:
- Use Optimal Huffman
- Can instruct it, for example, to make 1024 the longest dimension and it will keep aspect for the width (good for Flickr where 1024 is the longest length for free accounts)
- Resize based on percent
Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:25 AM   #2

Sounds like too much work to me.

As for file sizes, any type of processing can impact the file sizes, even if the jpeg compression/quality amount remains the same.

Sometimes, noise makes JPEGs larger, since it's seen as fine detail and doesn't compress as well (and since denoising can often smooth out some detail, you can end up with smaller sizes).

Whatever you do, I'd make sure to save the originals (don't overwrite them). Anytime you process an image you risk destroying some of the data in the originals, and if you ever need the highest quality possible from an image later, using current tools, you want to start out with the original if possible.

In addition to the image itself, you'll also destroy metadata in the image headers doing conversions (for example, PNG is not going to support the EXIF and Makernotes data that you have in your JPEGs). But, I'd keep the originals, even if you stayed with one format during the processing, since editors will often step on that metadata and you want the highest quality image saved (the one the camera produced) in case of processing mistakes, or if you want to use different tools later to reprocess cherished images.

Here is an article you may find useful:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote