Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:18 PM   #1

We are just about to settle on the purchase of a digital camera for our family and want to be able to imprint the date on the photos we send to a commercial vender to print. We don't want to print our own photos.

We have found two cameras that we like, but have a dilemma of sorts. The first camera we found that we like is the Kodak

EASYSHARE Z712 IS Zoom Digital Camera. It can imprint each photo with the date on which it was taken and we can get it at a pretty reasonable price. The second camera is the Olympus SP-550 UZ Ultrazoom, which doesn't imprint the date, but it does have a super 18x zoom lens. We also can get it at a fairly reasonable price.

I tend to like the Olympus as it has the better zoom and I just like their cameras in general. However, the biggest disappointment we have had so far with digital cameras has been the fact that they haven't been imprinting the date and now some do. I have read the article on the website (http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2006/techtips-16mar06.htmabout ) about PictBridge and DPOF. I wonder if this might help me to imprint the date on photos that I send off to be printed if I buy the Olympus camera which doesn't imprint itself. I don't want to have to do each photo separately, so batch work is necessary without a lot of hassle.

Or, does anyone know of a commercial photo printer that prints each photo with the date it was taken on, so I don't have to worry about it?

Also, do you know of a software program that will imprint the date on the photos we have on our computer without a lot of hassle? It seems like someone would have this or should develop it as the information ( i.e. date) is apparently stored with the image and it seems that there ought to be an easy way to get this imprinted on the photo.

Any help will be appreciated.
danielbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:52 PM   #2

While I personally do not use it, I know someone who does and it might fit your bill: http://avpsoft.com/products/timetoph...imetophoto.com

Also, you really do not need to post the same question in more than one appropriate spot! And welcome to the forums, you'll enjoy it here.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:16 PM   #3

Extra threads removed (we prefer that you don't cross post the same question to multiple forums, so that all answers are in the same place).

This topic comes up from time to time.

Some cameras have a date stamp feature, and some cameras don't.

But, you can get software to print a date/time stamp on a photo, if you really have a need for it. I'd save the originals as a date stamp can be unsightly.

The settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images).This header includes the date and time an image was taken. You can get free software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images with the date if desired.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode).

Using this technique (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Another example is Irfanview (you'll see the ability to insert overlay text in the Advanced Options under Batch Operations).

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the header in the image file). Even the free EasyPrint software Canon includes with some of it's printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote