Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:09 AM   #1
Default Not a Question... a Heads Up!

:shock: Just wanted to share an experience...

My wife's computer suffered a problem when connected to the Web. The computer would warn that it had to shut down after being connected for about two minutes.

I conducted an Anti-Virus scan and found the computer was infected with the W32.Blaster.Worm. This is that one that's in the news right now. Norton wouldn't let me quarantine or delete the offending files since they were an in use process. I went to the Symantec web site and printed the cleaning instructions on the other computer. I found the affected machine had been "taken over" by somebody. The fix requires a Microsoft security patch (the Symantec instructions offer a link to the patch). Once I followed the instructions, I was able to eradicate the Worm and close the security hole. It could have been messy is my only computer had been attacked.

Lessons learned... 1. Scan your computer with a good anti-virus regularly. My wife's machine was scheduled to scan every Friday at 10:00PM. It was always off at that time. 2. Visit the Windows Update site regularly, paying attention to security fixes. 3. There are a lot of idiots out there (but I guess we all knew that). 4. Windows is a work in process as far as security goes.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:39 AM   #2

To add to the heads up, you can scan manually at any time...the software may preset at Friday 10pm but you can always change that, or do what I do and start a manual scan before I go to sleep, or head out...and it's gone when I get back to the computer.

The same goes for updates...if your computer is off when it's scheduled it doesn't get done; you can update manually at any time.

Have to wonder though why the "auto protect" didn't work...it should have detected the attack before it happened...do you have real time scanning disabled?

I know with mine (which is the full package including firewall) it always alerts me when someone is trying to do that...do you have a firewall?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 3:28 AM   #3

Got infected two days ago and downloaded the free Symantec remover. Nice of them to offer it for free.

Makes you wonder about human nature, that so many are willing to maliciously attack anonomous, innocent people.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:02 AM   #4

I also wonder about the rationalization that if Microsoft hadn't made Windows unsecured then they wouldn't have created this virus. Thus it's Microsoft's fault.

It's sounds to me like, you have a gun, I steal it from you and shoot you so it's your fault why you are harmed because it would never have happened if you didn't have a gun.

I have a difficult time buying that logic especially when it hurts so many innocent people.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:16 AM   #5
Default Veering way way way off topic...

I am in no way associated with this company, but the products that they've got are pretty good. They provide a free version of their anti-virus software for home and non-commercial uses.

This is the download page for the free stuff:

This is their homepage:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I'm looking to buy a digital camera. Which one is good?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:17 AM   #6

......Norton wouldn't let me quarantine or delete the offending files since they were an in use process....

Running Msinfo32 tells you what .exe's are running in the background. If you know the filename and where it is, boot to DOS and you should be able to delete it. As well as running NAV I also spend half an hour occasionally checking through the software sections of my 98SE registry. If I see something odd I can't relate to an installed prog, I search and kill the executable then delete the key.

A lot of stuff still persists in the registry, even after you've deleted software and run Regclean.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 5:43 AM   #7

windows doesnt even come with virus software!

its incredably stupid!

even if they provided a basic program then most of the world would be virus free!
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:35 AM   #8

One point to ponder. If you set parental controls under AOL it blocks automatic Symantec updates. It appears to consider it an "adults only" site....
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 7:35 AM   #9

Question for those of you infected with Blaster: do you have a router, or some sort of hardware firewall? What kind of protection, if any, was in place that the virus managed to bypass so as to infect your computer?
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:21 AM   #10

The blame goes to both groups. MS is the maker of a partially defective product. Laws prevent them from being sued, but that is another matter. They do not spend enough time or money making their OS secure and have less bugs. They (and the software industry) argue that this would make it prohibitively expensive and the goal of a bug free software program is impossible.

I am a software designer and engineer. Theoretically they are correct, practically they are wrong. Not doing something better because doing it perfectly is impossible is wrong. Yes, it would raise the cost of making the product (there for raising the cost to us.) I might accept a slight higher cost for a better product. On the other hand, they have so much money in the bank, they might not nead to raise the price.

The person who made the virus is responsible because they intentionally damaged our computers, costing us time, productivity, money and time from of our lives which could/should have been spent better. They intentionally do harm to others (even though they don't actually know the others.)

Doug39 (and others)
This is why I recommend ZoneAlarm. It prevents unauthorized programs from connecting to the internet and it prevents outside connections coming to my computer. It's free for non-commercial use, and is very good.

Is it as good as a firewall-router hardware device? No, but it should be used in conjunction with them. I regularly tunnel through my firewall to my work using VPN software. I could get a attacked from a work computer, 'cause it would go right through my firewall using the VPN tunnel. It's a little difficult to set up, but once set up, you rarely have to bother with it.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote