Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:23 AM   #1
Default Where do you take your Digi-Cam?

I'd like to make a little survey in which I want to know, where you take your digi-cam.
Some of you seem to have it with you all the time.
But please tell me:
Do you carry your cam around just if there're some interesting events and festivals, do you always plan your photographing, or do you take all your shots by chance?
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:47 AM   #2

My wife and I tend to do all that you mentioned. She as a Canon S230 Digital Elph that she keeps in her purse for when we are out and about. But for most everything else we use my G3. Some of our pictures are planned/posed but the majority are candids. You never know what you are going to get into with a 4-year old in the house.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:49 AM   #3

I take mine on every ski trip in the winter and usually keep it with me all day while I'm on the mountain.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:49 AM   #4

It's rarely far from being around my neck - you never know.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:00 PM   #5

Photo shoots are always planned, and for these I bring what equipment (35mm/2-1/4/lighting/lenses,etc.) that may be needed.

For casual use I used to try to carry at least a 35mm with me, but tended to leave it behind a lot. Then got mad at myself when photo-ops presented themselves and I was without camera.

With the addition of the little digicam I now have it with me all the time. It is small enough so it just hangs on my belt, and dosen't get in the way and it dosen't weigh enough to notice it is there.

I am finding that 13*19 images look just fine from the 5mp camera, run through PS7.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:33 PM   #6

I take it when I go outside for pleasure. That means hiking for exercise, hikes for pleasure/the environment, and out birding and taking picture of wildlife.

I don't own a camera which I can easily carry with my always, so I don't. I would feel odd carrying 3-4 thousand in equipment with me all the time. This is why I expect to get something small and pocketable so I won't hesitate to bring it with me.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:13 PM   #7

I take my Canon S230 with me everytime I leave the house, including going to work. I hook it on my belt with the Canon belt case and people always think it's a cell phone or PDA. It's useful at my work at the airport. Instead of a lengthy description of a terminal or airfield discrepency to my boss or co-corkers,
I just show them a picture. Confucius was right.

I use it as a notepad. Instead of writing something, I can often take a picture of it and take it with me. For instance a map section, a phone book page - saving me from tearing the page out, a recipe or magazine article belonging to a friend. Instruction pages: I suppose you could photograph your camera manual and carry that on a space flash card, using your zoom fucntion to read it. For hiking I could take a survival manual on a flash card. Hmm. I know PDA enthusiasts have download web sites - may we could create a flash card download website. It would be like carrying an encyclopaedia on a flash card. Someone run with this.

But getting back to the subject. I like to carry my S230 for the unusual, unexpected photo opportunity. Sometimes I see something unusual and take a picture to show my friends. It could be as mundane as "Have you seen the new theater complex in Hollywood?" Or "Did you see the sunset last night" And I show them the picture.

I hope to upgrade the S230 for a 5mp version if Canon ever makes one. Otherwise I take my Nikon 5400 with me to family events, when I know I will be taking pictures and want the highest quality.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 9:05 PM   #8

You're a genious ... i do need a TINY digicam then ... hmmmmmmf
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 9:17 PM   #9

I'll take the Oly when I have a planned outing or some specific photo opportunity in mind.

I have the U20 with me all the other times. It's always close at hand, like the cell phone.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:04 PM   #10

I bought a Konica KD-510z (smallest 5 megapixel camera with a 3x optical zoom).

I was specifically looking for a "pocketable" camera, just so I could have a camera with me all of the time, in case photo opportunities arise.

It fits comfortably in my front pants pocket -- even when wearing my tightest jeans, so I take it with me whenever I leave the house. I love it's fast startup time too -- only 1.3 seconds

See some photos from it here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote